Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virgin BGE ready to buy, HELP!

Options
Bear
Bear Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BBQ veteran cooking/grilling/smoking about three times per week ready to make the plunge into the world of BGE. I know I want the large and I will make my own table. What accesories are a must?[p]Any advice before the purchase would be greatly appreciated.[p]Bear

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    Bear,[p]Get a slide/daisy - must have, for fine tuning your dome temps.[p]Get a plate setter - it sits directly on the fire ring, and it's a "must have" for indirect cooking on all 'lo & slo' cooks.[p]Nice to haves - ash tool, grid extender, side tables, egg cover, etc. [p]See the link below for pictures of all that I've described.

[ul][li]What's new at the Big Green Egg[/ul]
  • Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Bear,[p]If you scroll down to TimM's reply regarding Indirect Cooking there's a link to his web site. Tim has the straight skinny on what you need to have.[p]One thing that doesn't ever get mentioned, but I personally find handy, is a cheap metal bucket. Drop by your Dollar General or such and pick one up. Why a metal bucket? It makes it easier to clean ash out of your Egg. Even if you cooked the night before and are not sure the ashes are totally dead you can clean out your Egg.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Good call on the bucket idea, never thought about it much. I usually let the coal die for a day or so, then through into a 5Gal plastic pail. I know,not to smart.[p]Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Earl, I just use a big piece of al. foil - works great and nothing to cleanup - merely wrapup and throw in the trash![p]
  • Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks! I thought of many complex solutions to neatly removing ash, but never thought of the simplest solution!
    Janet[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Kelly Keefe,
    Amen to the bucket! I use a tin bucket with lid that came originally full of popcorn or dog food or something. Lid helps snuff any embers that might be hot, and keeps snow and rain out till I have enough to add to the compost.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Janet, comes with EGGsperience - would you believe when I first started I even had a real drip pan - now you'd think that I own stock in Reynolds Aluminum - I use the HD foil for about everything - for a perfect sized drip pan, merely lay a typical 8.5x11 piece of paper on the foils and fold the edges - best part? Never needs to be cleaned - just crumple and toss! :~}

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Bear,
    Yep, check TimM's site and the suggestions of others for tools.
    I'd like to suggest a freezer dedicated to meat for the egg. What's the point of having the egg and an extra bag of lump if the pantry is empty!
    On a serious note, I took possession of a large metal bucket the wife was storing some stuff in and using it to hold wood chunks separate from the bag of lump in the trash can.

• Bear
    Bear Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks to all for the responses and the links.[p]I hope to bring home my baby within a week or two![p]I'll get back with ya'll soon!!!![p]Bear
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Bear,
    I really like the grill grabber tool.... JCA

• eggaholic
    Options
    Earl,
    I got an old candle bucket and cleaned it out. You know from those citronelous candles. Works great.