Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Perfect Brine Bag

Options
Rollocks
Rollocks Posts: 570
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was in Wild Oats today and they were selling a "Turkey Perfect" Brine bag. The bag was priced at just over $3.00. From reviewing the box, I saw no advantage to using their bag over using a kitchen trash bag which cost about 15 cents. They had a seperate brining mix which was priced fairly high too.[p]Am I missing something, or is this just a marketing ploy to sell something at a more expensive price.

Comments

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Rollocks,[p]You're not missing anything. Stick with the trash bag.[p]Good eggin'
    -paul

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Rollocks,[p]When you brine, it needs to be in a food-safe container. I'm guessing If you were to review the packaging, you should find a reference to it being safe for food handling. A garbage bag isn't, that I know of...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Rollocks,
    Probably not food grade but I have used them for butts, chickens and turkey. No one has died yet. I was also brought up on stuffing made in the turkey, cooked in an oven and my aunt still cooks that way every year, no one has died yet.[p]I may at some point next year, not at holiday, time try a small bird with stuffing, no wood chips and new lump just to see how it taste. So if you don't see me posting at the end of next year, I died. (:~[p]Good Luck,
    Bordello
    Take a chance, you only live once.

• wannabebackinTexas
    Options
    Rollocks,[p]Forget the bag. Go to HD and get one of those big orange buckets. Wash it out with soap and water, put turkey, brine and ice in bucket, cover with plastic wrap and towels. Keep in a cool place. Works for me every year, and I'm still cookin'[p]Good eggin'
    -p

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    QBabe, [p]I'm with you on the trash bags. I use turkey roasting bags or XL Zip-Locs in a cooler with ice, or a 5 gallon bucket if it's cold enough outside.[p]I missed you in Atlanta. I brought glasses.... [p]Julie

• EggspertMN
    Options
    wannabebackinTexas,
    I use a HD bucket too. it is only used for this purpose. I use a brewers disinfectant. Iodophor, what we use to sterilize brewing equipment. or, you could use a 10% solution of household bleach.[p]keep it cold for 24 hours, and works every time. save the bag for the bones[p]M

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Rollocks,
    someone posted a while back that trash bags contain an anti-bacterial agent. all i remeber is that it convinced me to go with a bucket or fork over the $ for a food grade bag. just my 2 cents.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    IMG_1424.jpg
    <p />Rollocks,
    I bought this cooler for the express (and only) purpose of brining turkeys. One of my most favorite brines takes 4 days so keeping the bird and solution cool is critical. Initially I just used a trash bag as a liner, but the XL ZipLoc bags used once makes clean up easy and there are no sanitization worries.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Missed you too...any chance you'll make it to Florida in March?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• EggspertMN,[p]And save the bones for the stock pot![p]~ B[p]