Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

600+ degrees

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was attempting to grill some steaks at 700+ two nights ago. The egg easily got to 600 and I could swear I saw flames coming out of the bottom vent. I decided to check the inside and as I "burped" it, flames shot out everywhere. I tried again, and again flames and a near burned arm. I decided to close the daisy wheel a little, and got it under control at 500 enough to open it and add the steaks, then cooked them as usual. [p]How do you get your egg to 700 or 750 and how are you adding food to it? I've heard that you need little ash underneath and a full fire box to achieve those temps... I think I could have reached 700+ in time, but I'm not sure how I would have opened it.[p]In addition, I started to smell something funny, like something was melting or getting too hot. I assume that's normal for a 2 month old egg that's never been above 500.[p]Thanks for any input...
R

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    TheNotoriousROB,[p]Suspect the funny smell was a burning gasket. As to the flashback, look at the Naked Whiz's Flashback video. It will put the fear of God in you.
    [ul][li]Naked Whiz's Flashback Video Site[/ul]
  • TheNotoriousROB,[p]How d'ya handle a 700+ Egg? Same ways-a porkypines make love...[p]V-e-r-y carefully![p]:)

• Eggoholic
    Options
    TheNotoriousROB,
    what was the last thing that you cooked, looks of grease might have been the issue

• sven,
    I cooked a brisket.... BUT I used a drip pan with indirect heat. Maybe I had the firebox too full?
    Maybe it was because it was dark out and the flames looked worse than they were...

• Eggoholic
    Options
    TheNotoriousROB,
    I forgot about mine once will just doing a heat clean, came back 30 min later and the egg was at 1200, talk about being scared to open it. At one point looked like a jet with flames coming out the top where the daisy wheel sits! Safe to say i just got my rutland gasket kit today.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    TheNotoriousROB,[p]Lotta un-answered questions about flashback and what causes it in here. The best advice I've tried so far is to always remove Miss Daisy and open the lower door if you plan on opening the dome with TREX temperatures going on inside.[p]Not a guarantee that it won't still flare up, but if it does, it's much tamer. BTW the hair DOES grow back. I almost have a full nap back now. LOL.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    TheNotoriousROB,[p]Leave the daisy wheel completely off to reach maximum temperature. I can usually tell when the Egg is up to searing temperature because I can begin to smell what I think is the hot metal of the grate.[p]The gasket burning is acrid.[p]It doesn't sound like you were getting flash back, which comes out really fast and blue. A high heat fire produces lots of flames by itself. I've had flames at least 8" high coming out the top when searing. If there was any grease in the Egg, it will blaze off. Its good to have long gloves on, and move fast. Any fat on the steak will ignite within a second when you go to turn it. I tried 4 steaks at once, and couldn't do more than three before the blaze became to great.[p]gdenby
  • Morro Bay Rich,[p]I had the exact same experience with my new small bge. When cranking up the fire, I've noticed that funky smell. Smells like burning glue, it's an unpleasant chemical smell. Should I be concerned about a burning gasket, assuming that's what it is? Will that go away after a few more uses?[p]Also, the max temp I could reach was just under 700, at at that point I had a scary, unholy, and barely contained conflagration on my condo balcony, ahaa... Flames shooting up through the top and out the sides if I dared to open it. I think I better buy a fire extinguisher.[p]Still, I only got it up to 680 or so. Upon investigation, after things cooled down, I found that I had a lot of small lump under the grate and the firebox wasn't aligned properly, plus I'm not using the best quality lump right now, it's a generic brand from A&P. I may try again, but I'm kinda worried since a charcoal grill isn't considered strictly legal where I live, and if I provoke the neighbors with too much smoke and fire,I might get banned from using it. In which case I'll have to sell the condo and move to the 'burbs I guess.