Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pheasant ???

Options
Daddio
Daddio Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings and Salutations: I have a question for all you eggsperts. Does anyone have a smoked pheasant recipe that I can try? I have a couple of pheasant that I brought back from Wisconsin and would like to smoke them on "Eggbert". Thank you in advance and may everyone on this forum have a safe and joyous New Year ![p]Daddio

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Daddio,
    I had done a small wild turkey breast a while back and it was good but a little dry. Pheasant being lean would probably be close in type of beast as wild turkey. Spin gave me a little prerspective on it with his follow up post to mine. Hope it comes through. The archives can be tricky to open up sometimes.
    Painter

[ul][li]wild turkey[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Daddio,
    I have never cooked a pheasant...But here is some recipes...Maybe you can find one that will work.
    Larry

[ul][li]Pheasant Recipes[/ul]
  • Daddio
    Options
    YB,
    Thanks for the recipes! I will try one or two out. Thanks for the link.[p]Daddio

• Daddio
    Options
    Painter,
    Thanks for the recipe. I will try it today and post the results. I have three pheasants so I'll try smoking one and one or two of the other recipes that YB provided. As always this forum is fantastic....[p]v/r
    Daddio[p]

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Daddio, Here is a method that has worked perfectly for us: brine the bird for 12-24 hours; rinse; rub with favorite seasonings as a dry rub - or better with a paste (dry rub mixed with oil to a smooth, easily spread consistency); cook indirect over a drip pan containing apple cider at 275-325 until breast temp is 160; let it rest for 10-20 minutes and slice. It should be moist and tender. Good luck, Marvin

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Daddio,
    Holly smokes, you got 3 pheasants at one road kill. I got to get over to Wisconsin, it sounds like lots of good eats can be had.LOL
    On the serious side,Larry ( Y.B ) has give you a good place to start. Please let us know how thing go & post the recipe if you are happy with it. I am sure you are not the first to cook up a batch on the egg.[p]Earl

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Daddio,
    I've been using this brine recipe for my pheasants since Cat shared it with me last year. I do the birds indirect at 350 with some fruit wood for smoke. JCA

[ul][li]Brine recipe[/ul]