Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg temp in cold weather.

JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having problems getting my medium egg above 300 when the weather starts getting cold. Had the same problem last winter. Then none for the spring and summer. The charcoal gets good and red adding more doe's not help. This last time it was 38 degrees out not that cold yet.

Comments

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Jim,[p]Are you sure you have your firebox in correctly..?[p]And when was the last time you cleaned out the ashes..?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Jim,
    I have to agree with icemncmth, pull it apart, give it a good cleaning, re-install the the parts being sure the firebox opening lines up with the lower vent. Next is your lump, it could be yours is damp or the brand.[p]When I got my mini I could not get it over about 450-500, changed the brand of lump and 750 no problem.[p]There is not that much to an Egg so it's better IMHO to just pull it apart and start fresh.[p]Best of luck,
    Bordello

• Jim,[p] I live in Canada and there are no ptoblems at extremely cold temperatures. As the other gys said make sure your firebox is clean and that your fire ring is lined up with the intake on the outside of the egg. Any lump should get to at least 600 degrees.[p]Steve

• Jim,[p]If the coals are a orange/yellow (lava looking) those lump coal temps are about 900° to 1100° The black lump within the 'lava looking' lump will be about 800°[p]The dome temp will depend on how much of the lump is glowing in the fire box.[p]Is your dome thermometer work correctly?[p]I can't remember the exact times but Bobby Flay said if you can hold your had at the grid for 3 seconds before having to pull your hand away the the temp is about 500°.[p]Kent
  • mr.b
    mr.b Posts: 75
    Jim, make sure your ashes are cleaned out. i can go a couple months or more cooking regularly on my xl but on the small i have to do every couple weeks for good air flow. i suspect a medium would need a little more cleaning out on a more frequent basis as well. on my small it really backs up into the firebox while the xl area is so massive that it takes alot longer to build up and restrict airflow.