Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The First Time is Saturday!!!!

Options
Sprouter
Sprouter Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The green egg is already to go. Planning to use the BGE tomorrow, for the first time. So many choices on what to cook first. Suggestion from the family of eggers, (brother, sister and other supportive friends) is a Standing Rib Roast. I have been given the approval from the Commandeer in Chief to try this delectable piece of meat. [p]Only one store in Nashville sells the green egg. Very few accessories available at this time. I was able to pickup the natural lump charcoal, Ash tool, Apple and Jack Daniels chips and a electric coal starter (Wonder if that was a wise choice). Several Questions.[p]1)Any tricks to the trade I need to know about?
2)Was going to use olive ooil and coat with salt and pepper.Any other Ideas?
3)Best place to get accessories is where?[p]Thanks for your help all!!! Happy new year.
Sprouter

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Sprouter,
    Everything sounds in order. Use the Jack D chips on the beef, not the apple. Save apple for poultry. The electric starter is excellent in my view. Lights better and easier than the Weber cubes. I had an electric one but it burned/rusted out fast so was stuck using starter cubes till Santa brought a new electric one! Make sure you have a good thermometer. The polder-type works best. And I'm like you, simple seasoning on a good piece of meat. As for best place to get more stuff...well, isn't Nashville only 2 1/2 hours from Atlanta, home of BGE? That'd be my suggestion.
    Welcome, good luck and ask away!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Sprouter,
    I just did a rib roast myself. Here is how I do it, and it's quite yummy. No olive oil, I know that sounds weird, but I force myself to leave it out on this one. Fresh pepper, coarse salt and diced garlic all over the meat. Get the egg up to 600* and sear each side for 2 minutes, sear the fat side for 3 minutes. Be very careful doing this, there will be a lot of flames. I suggest thick gloves and a friend to help. Be careful opening the egg at these temps, flare ups not only burn knuckle hairs, they have gone past my elbow!!! Once it is seared, remove it from the heat, set up the egg for an indirect cook and stable the egg at 300*. Cook bone down until done. 140* for med. rare. It's a tough one to mess up... very forgiving....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Sprouter
    Options
    Shelby,
    Great Idea!!!!. I will call and order over the phone today and hop in truck and be on my way 1st thing in the morning.
    Sprouter

• Trout Bum
    Options
    Sprouter,
    Try the recipe below. It is great!!!! Oh so juicy.
    B D

[ul][li]Prime Rib Roast[/ul]
  • Sprouter -[p]I just did a 6.8# roast last night...[p]Used only garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh ROSEMARY for an overnight rub. Removed from fridge 1 hour prior.[p]Encountered a small inferno after the sear, but no problem removing V-rack and drip pan because of my best Christmas gift:
    Fireplace gloves (LL Bean or elsewhere) that go nearly to my elbows.
    Don't know how I managed w/o them before.
    Remember to be very careful when cracking the egg after the sear -- lift the top slowly and know that the drippings will flare up.[p]Can take awhile to get your temp down from 600+ to the 210-325 range. BEST TIP I've read:
    Shut the damps / Drop in some fresh lump / Mix it a bit / Just don't let the burn die out completely.[p]Polder-type meat thermometer is essential. Avoid angling the probe too much toward the bone. Set alarms for slightly below your target temp and stand close by for the final rises. Pulled our roast out at 118*, placed on cutting board, wrapped in foil and within 20-25 minutes the temp hit 135*. Carved and served some awesome MEDIUM-RARE prime rib![p]I'm a big fan of electric starters (if you don't abuse them). Just get the coals going and remove it fairly soon after. Let it cool and then store it somewhere that's dry.[p]Enjoy![p]- HeadCase[p]P.S. Other good info found throughout FORUM and at http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html (author unknown)[p]

[ul][li]The Perfect Prime Rib Page[/ul]
  • Sprouter,
    If you don't mind, li'l sis will add a hint. If you have a Giant or Sutton Place Gourmet (or someplace similar) ask for some veal stock (they make it fresh so you may have to call in a day or two ahead). The veal stock comes in a small pint or half pint tupperwarish container, and will look like a big blob of brownish jello. When you take your meat out to stand, put the blob of stock on the roast and allow to melt while to roast cools. You also now have your stock for gravy. Can't go wrong!!! P.S., this is a secret!!!
    MaryA