Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Rick G
Rick G Posts: 185
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok....I want to try cooking a prime rib roast for thanksgiving. The problem is, my family is a bunch of wimps when it comes to meat cooked "too rare". If its not brown, its not done, in there opinion. So I see Mad Max says to cook it to 125. That looks pretty pink. What would be a good internal temp to get closer to medium well????

Comments

• Rick G,[p]Try pulling it at 130F, it will creap up 5-7 degrees while resting for 1/2 hour or so. Give the outer cuts to the squemish ones.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Rick G,
    well.. you can cook it to >gulp< 155[p]a shame though...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rick G,
    you want it closer to medium in the center then pull around 135 internal. .. temp will still creep up to the 14 - 145 range, should leave it a little pin in the center. .. other thing you can do is, depending on how many people you have and how big the roast is, cut it in two and cook it as two roasts instead of one, that way you'll have 4 end pieces ... .

• Rick G
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Ahhhh...Thats a good idea. Thanks for the info. Having never cooked a PR Roast before, what am I looking at for a cook time per pound???
  • Rick G
    stike,
    I know its a shame....at 155 it wouldnt be shoe leather would it????

• Rick G,
    for the temps you are looking for? .. .about 18 - 20 minutes per pound for 135 internal ... keep an eye out though, you don't want it too done, even for your bunch. ..

• Rick G
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks again.

• Rick G,[p]I have the same problem with my family. A little pink in the center is OK; all pink (rare) which prime rib needs to be is out. So I don't cook prime rib for my family. I have tasted medium to medium well prime rib and it taste like a bad steak.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Rick G,[p]No...just expensive Shoe Leather!![p]Like Max says...you can always carve their peices and let them go as far as they want them.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Rick G,[p]145f will get you what you want (pink be gone) and is the minimum safe temp for Beef according to the WA state Health Dept. It's a silly rule. I think they wanted it simple and made Beef and Pork the same. But in both cases it keeps the folks who are scared of pink happy.[p]I like to start Prime Rib at 350f and then drop the dome temp down slowly so there is only maybe 50f difference as I approach the target. That keeps the bounce as small as possible.[p]HTH,[p]Konrad

• Rick G,[p]Why ruin a perfectly good prime rib? Cook that puppy to a nice medium rare, or even better to the rare side of medium rare. If someone wants theirs more done, toss that slice back on the egg for a minute or so or toss it in the jukebox and nuke it a tad.[p]Remember, you can always make meat more done, but you can't fix it if it's overcooked.

• stike
    Chubby,
    yeah. you have a real good point.
    if you are going to screw up a piece of meat, then it's best to cook it how YOU want it, and hell, microwave their slices the rest of the way, to order. [p]therefore, i retract my earlier temp suggestion!
    i can't believe i even worte it.[p]hahaha

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Rick G,
    Good suggestions already. [p]One thing you might try is a reverse-sear. The color on the roast ends up being almost the same all the way through (no red center and less pink overall generally). It's also a good way to get a little smoke on the meat. Cook the meat lower (like 275-300 indirect) and slowly bring the meat up to 130 or 135. It'll take some time. Then rest it on a plate while you get your egg set up for a roaring sear. Sear on all sides, rest again and you might just be able to satisfy everyone.[p]Or just sear as normal, but cook the second side longer than the other and serve that side to the folks who don't like pink.[p]Just some idears. Already done used up all my puter time, but it feels good to be back! Let us know how it works out if you decide to give it a go.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • 11feb07-015.jpg
    <p />Rick G,
    but prime rib is supposed to be pink[p]i'd say you have a few choices here depending on your family:
    - cook it to 130 will be perfect, end pieces for the squeamish
    - cook it to 130 will be perfect, the squeamish can put their piece back on the egg and family bonding will result since they "cooked" it
    - get a small, 2 bone roast and cook it to 125 for yourself. get 3 pounds of hamburger and shape it like a prime rib roast, then cook it well done and serve it up with ketchup[p]you can always go more, but you can never go back to rare

• stike,
    A friend of mine runs an Elks Lodge, he cooks the steaks. When they order well done, he picks out the worst steak he can find. Heck, they don't like the taste of beef anyway, so give them what they want.[p]Mike

• Rick G
    WOW!!!![p]Thanks everyone for the great info!!! I will let you all know how it goes.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    stike,[p]What you try'n to do...get this thread yanked!![p]LOL!!!!!
    Evans[p]PS...I run into the "But there's still pink in there" on occassion too!
    It really puts the pressure on me to ruin it...without destroying it!![p]It's harder for me than cooking to rare/med rare!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • stike
    Car Wash Mike ,
    hahahaha[p]i went out to a raw bar with a friend who "loves" oysters. he piled every damn thing, onions, horseradish, cocktail sauce.... couldn't see smell taste or even hear the poor things under all that.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    IMG_1039.jpg
    <p />Rick G,
    You could take the Prime Rib to 150 internal then take it off the egg, let it rest under aluminum foil in the kitchen. The internal temp will keep going up to around 155 which will leave just a little pink in the very center. Remember, the higher the temp the less tender but if medium well is your target then 155 will work, in my opinion. In the picture my roast is 135. I understand your situation and it is important to have happy customers at the dinner table. Good luck!

• Rick G,
    one last idea. ..roast it to medium 130 internal. . .throw a cast iron skillet in the egg. ..fire it up good. ..then anyone that wants a slice more well done, sprinkle some cajun spices on a slice and throw it on the skillet and serve them a slice of blackened prime rib. ...even though it will be more done, it will have some seared in juice to it .... should be better than just a slice of dried out well done .. ..

• Rick G,
    I have the opposite problem. My family (kids included) won't eat the "burnt" part that's not pink! [p]Ed