Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting almost cooked ribs to the beach

DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 361
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My family is going to the beach to spend Thanksgiving. Everyone has asked me to cook ribs one night. Ofcourse there's no BGE at the beach, so I was wondering if anyone could advise how I might partially cook say 4 whole spare ribs here at home on my egg; wrap them up, ready to travel, and finish the cook down there maybe 24 hours later. I usually use Mike's 3-1-1 method. If I can do this, it'll blow 'em away. Any ideas?[p]TIA

Comments

• DynaGreaseball,
    3-1-1, I hope you mean changing temps. I don't foil. You partially cook ribs, people will get sick. Cook them, without sauce. Foil those suckers, for fall off the bone at 3 hours. Leave on for 1 hour. They are done. Pull, slice 2 ribs at a time. Sauce the next day when warming up.[p]Mike

• DynaGreaseball,
    I sort of did this a couple weeks ago. Took them all the way through the foil stage, then laid them, still in foil, on a cooking sheet pan & into the freezer. The serving day I thawed and sauced on the egg. I expect you could do these last two in a oven without a huge, if any, difference. I won't say they were as good as usual but they were real close.
    Tom

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Sounds too risky, and even if it worked, doesn't sound like they'd be perfect. Can't show off with less than perfect BGE ribs.[p]Thanks anyway, guys.
  • DynaGreaseball,
    If come to KC or Omaha next year, I'll change your mind.[p]Mike

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    DynaGreaseball,
    I cook them completely, sauce just like I'd do if I were serving them. Then into Foodsaver bags, shrink-wrapped, and frozen. Drop them into boiling water for about 20 minutes, and I, at least, can't tell the difference. They always get raves. I've kept them a couple of months this way. I think the Foodsaver vacuum pack is the key.
    My 2c.

• Car Wash Mike,[p]Wait! I thought you were against me trying to transport them that way. Maybe I just didn't understand.
  • uncbbq,[p]now that sounds like a solution. Off to find a food saver...

• Car Wash Mike,[p]I re-read your post. I C now. Thanks. Sure hope I can sample some real Car Wash Mike Ribs some day.
  • DynaGreaseball,
    NO!, they will be great. I have done this many times at Arrowhead and The Royals games.[p]Mike[p]Mike

• DynaGreaseball,[p]During the summer we like to head down to the Great Salt Lake beach for family picnics. We take a small charcoal grill for hamburgers and hot dogs. Why not do the 3-2-1 on the Egg and finish on a small bbq grill at the beach?
  • Lost in Utah,[p]I would think the taste benefit of them having already been smoked on the egg, might not require a grill just to re-heat. Now I'm too worried about someone getting sick to try finishing the cook later. I'm leaning toward completely finishing them here, using the food saver, freezing them and transporting them in a cooler, then throwing them in the oven down there to re-heat. Maybe holding the sauce 'til I re-heat. [p]Thanks for the idea. [p]Did you say beach in Utah? Is that the Great Salt Lake?
  • DynaGreaseball,[p]Your right, that might be the way to go on ribs![p]Yep, The Great Salt Lake (just like the one on the Utah post cards).