Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My kingdom for a great hushpuppy recipie.

Carolina Wizard
Carolina Wizard Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love hushpuppys with my pulled pork and we've tried store bought hush puppy mixes and WHAT a disapointment. Even my own attempts haven't been great. Usually I can come up with something decent. But this has been something difficult for me to master. [p]Now, I believe that if I had me a good H.P. Recipie I would have achieved a complete and fullfilled life experience. Anybody want to share to help out a old man with his only problem?
Carolina Wizard

Comments

• Carolina Wizard,
    I'd like that recipe too, if someones got one![p]Dr. Chicken

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Carolina Wizard,[p]Ask and you shall receive. Go to the link below.

[ul][li]Hush Puppies[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bob,
    Thats about the same way we cook them,but we add 1-16-ounce can of cream-style corn and chopped Jalapenoe peppers to taste.We made them down in the swamps yesterday.
    YB[p][p][p][p][p][p]

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Carolina Wizard,
    This is a hushpuppy recipe from a local Charleston seafood place called Buddy's. It is now out of business, unfortunately. These are about the best I've had in this area. This was published in the September 1981 Bon Appetit.[p]Captain Buddy's Peppery Hush Puppies[p] Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

2 C Yellow Cornmeal -- Sifted
    1 C Self-Rising Cake Flour -- Sifted
    1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
    1/2 Tsp Salt
    1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
    1 C Beer (Plus 1/4 Cup)
    1/2 Med Onion -- Finely Minced
    1 Egg
    2 Tbsp Parsley -- Minced
    3/4 Tsp Pepper
    Peanut oil[p]Use stone-ground cornmeal if you can get it; it keeps the hush puppies light and holds them together as they fry. Also, you can substitute milk for the beer if you like.[p]Sift cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and soda into large bowl. Make well in center. Add 1 cup beer, onion, egg, parsley and pepper. Stir quickly until just combined (do not overmix). Add remaining 1/4 cup beer if batter is too thick; it should be consistency of porridge.[p]Preheat oven to 250F. Heat oil in electric skillet, deep fat fryer or large saucepan to 365F. Drop batter by rounded teaspoon into hot oil and fry, turning once, until richly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to serving platter and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot. Makes about 3 dozen.[p]I hope you enjoy it.
    JimW
  • Grumpa
    YB,[p]You read my mind. I love those things with corn in them and the peppers are like icing on the cake :~)[p]What are you doing in the swamps? Not going to Q frog legs are ya?

• JimW,
    Thanks, I copied the recipe and I'll give it a try when I'm more up to it![p]Dr. Chicken

• Grumpa
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Hurry up and get yourself well. You are a Doctor aren't you?[p]Sorry to hear you are under the weather.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bob,
    A good friend of mine owns 200 acers in the swamp on briar creek,just about every weekend we go looking for indian artifacts and cook something.It is a lot of fun,good food,good friends and artifacts between 2,000 and 10,000 years old.
    YB

• Grumpa
    YB,[p]WOW! You be a lucky Dawg. That sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to spend the week-end. Those old relics are very interesting and many tmes very valuable.

• Dr. Chicken, u wuss! You ain't taking the right medicine. You need a snort of coal dust, some freshed sliced onion, a pinch of cajun seasoning,, and a couple of my BIG-BOYZ in giant insulated mugs. WWYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOEEEE!

• King-O-Coals,
    I need somethin'! I was thinkin' 'bout your "Donald Duck" and the Vodka! But that would go against my better judgement! I jist hope the Quack (she's a good lookin' one too!) has somethin' she can give me to kick it tomorrow![p]Later, Dr. Chicken