Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"turbo" turkey

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, put my turkey I cooked yesterday in the cooked faster than expected column. Not even 3 hours and a 20 pound bird was fully cooked. And since I wasn't slicing until dinner last night, I had no real clue how it would come out. But, as soon as I took off the egg, I wrapped tightly in foil and put in an insulted carrier/ice chest. When I opened several hours later, the aroma was great. Then, when I sliced it, people started licking their lips. Was probably the best bird I've cooked to date. My sister prefers dark meat because it's more moist and the breast tends to dry out. Not last nights dinner. She was very impressed and she's an excellent cook. So, if I won rave reviews from her, I must have done well.

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Shelby,
    Congratulations, I think you were a little worried and I don't blame you, it looks like everything turned out great. Now, teach your sister how to cook on the egg so she will want one too.
    Happy Holidays,
    New Bob

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Shelby,[p]I was wondering if the dome probe might have been touching the bird - or close to it? The Bge probes are long and a 20 lb bird is pretty big - you may have been cooking at 400-450 deg but the probe tip was reading 350 being close to the bird. That's just another good reason to use a spacer to shorten the amount of prober in the dome. That could explain it. My 7 lb brest took 2 hrs at 350.[p]Tim
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Tim M,
    I don't think it was touching it, but it could have been close enough as you say to alter the reading. Will make the necessary adjustment. Will need to since one of the things I got was the grill extender which will bring food up to a new level. Thanks as usual for all the input!
    (wondering...what to put on for New Years???)