Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Time Frame, One vs. Two?

Rocket
Rocket Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]Usually I only do one, but this Christmas I’m doing 2 prime ribs, one 4.5 # & one 7 # due to my family wanting one more done than the other.[p]I’m used to cooking one at the time & temp I choose for that day & how I feel, but what about doing both at the same time? [p]Do I add the two weights together and pretend they are one large roast to calculate a timeframe or figure them separate from each other?[p]
Thanks
Rod C.
Keizer, Oregon

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Rocket,[p]Cook the smaller (consider each piece an individual side by side cook) one to the more doneness and remove both at the same time.[p]Spin
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    Rocket,
    Spin is correct, they cook as two individual prime ribs. I cooked two hams at the same time, one larger then the other. I used two polders and sure enough the smaller cooked much quicker than the larger one. You might consider starting the larger one first, then putting on the smaller. The weight difference is enough that the smaller may be overcooked by the time the larger one is done. My 2 cents.
    Rich

• Spin,[p]Thanks for the quick reply...[p]I usually don't cook Prime Rib for the holidays, and this is Grade A Angus Prime Rib=$$$, so I would like to keep any mistakes to a minimum, plus have it done at the correct time.[p]Thanks
    Rod C.
    Keizer, OR[p]