Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turducken on the BGE

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're having turducken for Christmas dinner. For those that don't have the foggiest idea of what a turducken is, you are most cordially invited to click on the link below. I got mine from Cajun Stuff U.S.A, and instructions call for it to be baked in the oven at 350*, 4 hours covered, and 1 hour uncovered until an internal temp is reached at 165*.[p]But the problem is that the wife needs the oven. And since she's the one that's in command, I've got to look at other sources. If any of you marvelous folks have done a turducken on the egg, let me know how you've done it. I'm thinking of using a V-rack over a drip pan over a plate setter. But then, if I got to have it covered with foil 4 out of the 5 hours, the V-rack seems illogical. But cooking on the egg retains a lot more moisture for the meat, I wonder if cooking uncovered the entire time would be a better idea. [p]I am also wondering what would be the best smoke, or if I should use any smoke at all. Like I said, any of you turducken egg-sperts, lend me your thoughts.

Comments

• DavidR
    Options
    DavidR,[p]Hmmm. That link didn't work. I'll try it again. In case it doesn't work, go to www.turducken.com.[p]
    [ul][li]Turducken[/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    DavidR,
    Interesting article in newspaper here yesterday all about turducken's. Paul Prudhomme, the creator of the turducken, said it's not a "Cajun" dish but rather something he created in the 1960's and patented in the 1970's but he doesn't enforce the patent.

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    DavidR,[p]I would believe that covering the bird for the first hour or two is not a problem. Then I'd remove the foil for the remainder of the cook. Just keep an eye out for any burning of the skin.[p]Puj
  • Buckeye Bill
    Options
    DavidR,[p]My neighbor and I made turduckens last Christmas. He put a drip pan on the grate and then cooked the bird(s) on a grate just above the pan. Neither of us have any indirect cooking experience, but we felt that the drippings would be excessive if not contained.[p]The bird(s) weighed about 22 pounds to begin with and they cooked at about 325 for 4 hours and were excellent. May your results be as good![p]Happy Holidays.[p]Buckeye Bill
  • McKevin
    Options
    DavidR,[p]We also had turducken last Christmas, As I recall, I cooked it indirect (v-rack, drip pan, pizza stone) at 325-350 for approx 4 hours, uncovered the whole time. Couple chunks of hickory for taste. It was a HUGE hit![p]Kevin

• DavidR
    Options
    McKevin,[p]Really? You had it uncovered the whole time? It wasn't at all dried out?

• DavidR
    Options
    Buckeye Bill,[p]How long did you have it covered, and did you use any smoke?

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    David R,[p]My neighbor did his in the egg and mine was done in an oven (I was eggless then), so my memory isn't perfect. I know he covered the wingtips, but nothing else.[p]My recollection is that he cooked it for about 4 hours at 300 uncovered. He did have a drip pan serving as indirect, but not firebricks or plate setter.[p]For poultry we have decided that we like maple (sugar maple to be specific) for poultry. It was well smoked.[p]Did you buy or debone your bird(s)?[p]Hope this helps.[p]Buckeye Bill
  • McKevin
    Options
    DavidR,[p]
    Not at all, lots of moisture in these things, though yours may differ from mine (I've only done the one). It turned out great![p]Kevin