Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked pork tenderloin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend served smoked pork tenderloin at a party last night. It was awesome. He bought the meat at Sam's and had a local BBQ joint smoke it for him. I wondered if anyone has slow smoked it on the BGE, and I would be interested in temps, times, etc.[p]I did not detect a rub or anything on my friend's pork, just great smokey flavor.

Comments

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    choo choo, pork tenderloins are probably in the top three things I like best off the egg..[p]I rub mine, sear them to set a nice crust for a couple of minutes and then move them 'indirect' in Vrack over a pan at 350º until the internal meat temp is 155º
    Works everytime, usually takes no more than a half hour or so...[p]Mop

[ul][li]LLBBQ[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    pchop8.jpg
    <p />choo choo,[p]Smoked pork tenderloin is one of the specialties of the house here at the KennyG Ranch. Here's another idea for ya:[p]Marinate several hours or best overnight in orange juice. Optionally, add 1 teaspoon of jerk sauce per lb of meat and a splash of rum. Thank you Mrs. Dogs for this recipe![p]Smoke at 250* dome with cherry chips until an internal temp of 140*. Pull and allow to rest while you crank the Egg up to grilling temps of 550* or so. Go 1 minute per side just to get the char marks for appearance.

This recipe also works well with extra thick cut boneless chops as pictured.[p]K~G

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    choo choo,[p]My experience is that smoked tenderloin is the easiest thing for a beginner to do with excellent results. Each has their own style and technique, mine is simplicity and taste.[p]I put a rub (your choice) on the tenderloin and put on BGE. If the tenderloin is large, I cut it in half, usually pieces in the 6 to 10 inch range. I try to smoke heavy, usually maple, with a dome temp of about 300 using the direct method (if Santa is good to me I may use a plate setter indirect technique in the future). I turn after one hour and insert thermometer. My experience is that in about 1.5 to 2 hours, they are done (internal temp of 170), juicy and delicious. If there is a delay before eating I wrap in foil, otherwise I just cut and eat. [p]I do not mean to tell you that this system is flawless, I do get complaints. My wife thinks that everything from the BGE is "too juicy" and my boys sometimes complain that there isn't enough. I guess you can’t be perfect all the time.[p]Happy Holidays.[p]Buckeye Bill

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Buckeye Bill, you are getting a 'juicy' loin at 170º?
    If I let mine get up that high, they are leaning towards the dry scale, good mind you but just a titch dry......Merry Christmas[p]Mop

• Buckeye Bill
    Options
    Mop,[p]My wife insists that I cook meat to the stated temp on her chart, not something that excellent cooks on a web site say is optimal. It is a burden that I must live with, but IMHO the BGE permits different styles with outstanding results.[p]I have done several tenderloins with the same results, so I don’t think it is a fluke. I cook direct, at about 300 dome temp turning after the first hour. It typically takes 1.5 hours or maybe a little longer, but never 2 hours.[p]My luck with ribs is quite different, dry and tough. I think I cooked them too long direct, about 3 hours at 300. Maybe next time they will be better.[p]Turkey tomorrow for lunch. I will fill the cavity with onion and orange and rub him with garlic and oil. I will cook direct at about 300 for 3.5 to 4 hours for the 20 pound bird. The I will make broth with the carcass for soup or noodle stock. The only problem I see is that a diet may be required![p]Happy Holidays.[p]Buckeye Bill