Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fixin fish

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone had any experience cooking Amberjack Fillets on the BGE?

Comments

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Gary Schuster,
    I have eaten Amberjack before. It is a good fish. I like it smoked. Did you catch the fish? [p]ab ovo

• gary
    gary Posts: 28
    Options
    ab ovo,
    No I didn't. A friend cought it down in Florida and shared some with me.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Gary Schuster,[p]I have caught many amberjack off the coast of Florida and Georgia. The filets cook pretty similar to tuna or swordfish.[p]I have done them direct on a raised grid at 300 until the read about 145. Rub with a little EVOO and DP Tsunami Spin or Raging River - or just salt & pepper. They get dry pretty quickly above that so be careful and watch the temps.
  • Gary Schuster,
    I have cooked a lot of AJ. It is not my fish of choice but a man has to eat. First-I usually clean the heck out of it as it is usually filled with parasites (worms). If you can stomach it they say it is safe to leave them in and cook till well done as the heat kills all the parasites. I would rather whittle away at it till its clean. My kids like it fried, I like it grilled or blackened. Enjoy your reef donkey dinner.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Pylot135,[p]Agreed on the parasites. We usually toss everything in the tail section - that's usually where those nasty white worms hang out. Fillets from the dorsal area are generally clean.[p]Fun fish to catch, but I much prefer to cook up kings and snapper.
  • ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Pylot135,
    I was not going to mention the worms unless he caught it himself. The cat is out of the bag now. They are harmless to humans.[p]ab ovo