Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I avoid jerkey like Butt bark?

Options
Brian
Brian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I have been smokin butts for a few years and get great tender juicy inner meat but the bark is quite tough (outher 1/4 inch)[p]I do them standard indirect...... 225-250 (a most) until the inner meat is 200F. Since I do it overnight i don't mist it like I do with ribs... After I pull them off I foil them and let them rest for 1-2 hours before pulling.[p]When I eat them fresh after pulling the outer bark is usually a little tough and jerkey like (although tasty!). I usualyy sauce the leftovers and when I have them in a day or two the barck has softened a bit.. I;d like to get this softened effect (if at all possible) from the beginning...[p]Any pointers?[p]I got butts on me egg right now ;-) so no better time than the present to experiment!

Comments