Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib help

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a USDA Prime grade 28 day dry aged bone-in standing rib roast I want to make for Christmas day. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    John,
    Sear it on all sides at 600* for 2 minutes. Sear it on the bone side for 3 minutes. Remove from the grill. Get the egg to hold 300* and put back on grill. Cook bone side down unitl desired temp on inside. This is one of the top 5 cooks I've done on the egg.
    I only seasoned the meat with salt and pepper.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    John,[p]Wish I had access to meat of that quality!! Anyway I picked up a nice 9 pounder for Xmas day at the big muny market here in Cleveland. Last year's recipe, clipped from some unknown magazine worked out great and adapted well to the Egg. Rub the entire surface of your roast with crushed garlic and then sprinkle as heavily as you like with equal parts of salt, fresh pepper and good Hungarian paprika. Rub all this well into the meat the night before. Remove from fridge at least an hour before cooking.[p]Egg at 325* approx 20 minutes per pound shooting for an internal 125* for med-rare. Rest 20 minutes before serving, internal temp will continue to rise.[p]I'm really looking forward to this cook since I managed to get my hands on some sea salt and grains of paradise (malaqueda pepper) to blend in with the tellicherry.[p]
    K~G

• John,
    Cooks Illustrated's Dec. 1995 issue did the definitive research on this, and found the higher temps were all problematic. At 300F and above you get two well done ends, and the remaining slices tend to be well outside with a med-rare center. Not bad necessarily, but can be improved on. TO sum up, they recommend dry ageing the roast for 3 days unwrapped in the refridgerator, brown on all sides in a skillet (this renders a half cup or more of fat so you can still make Yorkshire pudding or jus), then cook at 200F about 30 min per lb, to 130 internal (m-rare). Then let it stand 20-30 minutes. If you cook at a higher temp and let it stand after removing from the Egg, be prepared for that medium-rare roast to continue to creep up in temp and doneness. I have used this with slight modification on the egg, opting for a more manageable 210F. Comes out much more juicy, and a uniform med-rare from just under the crust to the center. I use the placesetter inverted to hold a second grill, with a drip pan under (but at these low temps you don't get a lot of dripping). One last thing, the method they judged worst involved brining the prime rib. GL

• John,
    Except for the searing part, Frozen Chosen's method agrees most closely with Alton Brown's info on his show Good Eats, FWIW. My Dad used to do standing rib roasts slow and low for his amateur radio club and I remember them being the best meat I ever had at that young age. Alton Brown recommended 200 degrees until the meat hits 118 degrees. Then, let it rest while you bring the oven (or egg) up to 500 degrees. Then put the meat back into the oven (or egg) for 15 minutes. He had plenty of fat in the pan for yorkshire pudding, so I wonder about the need for the sear part in Frozen Chosen's method. Hey, try it one way on Christmas, and then try it another on New Year's Day![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    Hey, I saw that show. When you hit 500 with that roast in an inside oven, you'd better have all the smoke detectors turned off. There is one advantage to cooking in the egg! But the fat that renders off may also burn. I think the team at Good Eats brought in a stunt-double roast.

• Frozen Chosen,
    Actually, I think the fact that the glass dish was inside the flower pot and the oven was at 500 degrees for a short while might prevent the fat from smoking. I do think that the oven wasn't hot in all the shots. He didn't flinch when putting things in and taking them out and his glasses didn't fog up![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    John,
    I just did my "experimental" Prime Rib a week and a half ago. Results were good, but I am planning on modifying a little next time.[p]I started with an 8 pounder (no bones) from Costco, and used "Keg spice" on it. I fired up the Egg to about 800 degrees and put a couple of chunks of Hickory in as well. Seared it for 8-10 min. then pulled it. Shut the fire down until it stablized at 225, and used inverted plate setter/drip pan, put it back on. Cooked until 120 in the middle, pulled and let stand for 20 min.[p]Results: one of the most tender and juicy Ribs to date. Everybody devoured it (some took seconds).[p]Changes:[p]I'll dry age it and use pepper and garlic on the crust. A little longer on the sear for a crisper crust. Not sure about the Hickory, may go with a single small piece of Mesquite.[p]Just my 2 bits.

• WJS,
    Sounds great!! How long did it take @ 225 for that 8lb.er' to finish?? I'm seeing lots of you going w/225, and others reporting superb outcomes cooking at 325 to 350. Don't want to rush it, but don't want to work it all day!! KennyG talked about 325 & 20 minutes per lb. I've got to cook 11.5 lbs. worth, with bone-in. Thanks in advance!
    Big Murth

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Big Murth:[p]Twenty minutes at 325º/350º is about right for general scheduling of your cook. When you reach 90º or so internal keep a close eye on the thermometer as the internal temperature seems to rise rapidly from this point. Too expensive a cut to overshoot your desired internal.

• WJS
    WJS Posts: 54
    Big Murth,
    I used an estimate of 15-20 min/lb and worked backward, allowing for time to get the egg to drop and stablize.[p]The longer you sear, the more you aim at 15 min/lb. Use a Polder or instant read to confirm temps.[p]As far as the temp goes, a friend sent me a copy a an article from a cooking magazine that compared about 10 different time/temp combos. Sear high and fast - cook long and slow was what they recommended, and I can't argue with the results.[p]All this talk is making me hungry!