Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've 'bout decided to...

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
extend the family. Think I am going to go ahead and get a small to complement the large I already have. A small would be much easier for the wife and I when I'm doing chicken, burgers, steaks, etc. I hope to be able to get one at cost from the place where my dad got his. Keep your fingers crossed. what is cost for a small?

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]I've been toying with the same idea - single guy here, wasting fuel cooking steak for 1![p]I've been tossing between a medium ($699) and a small ($499).[p]Depends on the needs, but after the EGGfest, and talking to people, it seems that the medium has some versatility that the small lacks.[p]If you go with the small, GrateMates makes some accessories to extend it's functionality.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]Get a good deal, but your dealer deserves to make something! After all, that is his/her business! They are not in it just for fun![p]Smokey
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    welllll...he is my dad's yard guy also and makes quite a bit from that. LOL And, it is a deal he runs the day after T'giving to get folks into his store. I promise, he is making some money. I will also buy several bottles of rub which i am sure has a much larger margin, as well as some lump.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,[p]"You're a good man Charlie Brown"![p]Smokey
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    Jeeves,[p]If you already have a large, I would go for the small.[p]I picked up a small at the last eggfest to compliment my two larges and have been very happy with the versatility and how well it complements the large.[p]It will also alot be lighter and more portable than a medium if you want to travel with it.[p]
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Jeeves,
    I have a small and i think it is perfect for a single person. there is not much you cant do on it from burgers to a boston butt for pulled pork. I make pizza on it routinely. Pluse as mentioned above it is very portable. I can handle it by myself and made a carrying crate to haul it around. The medium to me is a little to big to be easily portable although we have all seen Rick's Tropical Delight haul his around quite a bit. I have every size except the medium and cant see and advantage to having it other than the novelty of saying i have all the sizes.

• GriffinGaDawg,[p]I have a medium and a small... and the medium is much more flexible... [IMO][p]My wife and I are REAL sensitive to smoke in things like pies and breads, so we have dedicated the small to... well... baked goods... no meats, except for the little that goes on pizza.[p]We can only bake one nice, round loaf at a time -- but that's enough... Once the small is up to snuff, we just keep putting in a fresh hunk-a dough every 40 minutes... and usually bake 4 - 6 loaves in an afternoon...[p]... like t'morra'[p]