Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enchilada

Options
Eggoholic
Eggoholic Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
thinking about making enchiladas tonight, always cook them in the oven, thought about cooking in egg tonight. Only dish i have is a glass casserole dish, you think it will hold up?

Comments

• Sven,
    If the dish is oven proof and you do not hit it with direct heat or it is cold when placed in the egg, you should be fine. What kind of meat you thinking of using. Here is Tonia's from Florida eggfest '06.[p]Mexican, Enchiladas, "Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas W/Spicy Pumpkin Sauce", QBabe

egret,Here's the recipe for the enchiladas I did...
    [p]2 Dzn. Tortillas
    **********For the Pumpkin Sauce*********
    1 15 Ozs.Can Pumpkin Puree (NOT pie filling)
    4 Cloves Garlic, Peeled, Minced
    1 Jalepeño, Quartered, leave the ribs and seeds for better results
    1 Tsp Chili Powder, I used ground chipotle chile powder
    ***********For the Filling**********
    1 1/2-2 Cups Leftover Grilled Chicken, Chopped F
    2 Cups Black Beans
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream, Reduced-Fat
    2-3 Chipotles in Adobo, Chopped
    3 Tsp Adobo Sauce, from the can of chipotles in adobo
    2 Scallions, Chopped
    1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
    1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
    ***********For the Topping**********
    1 1/2 Cups Grated Sharp White Cheese
    1/8 - 1/4 Cup Cilantro, Chopped

1 Combine sour cream, chipotles, adobo sauce and scallions. Put 1 cup of black beans in food processor and chop fine. Add chopped black beans to sour cream mixture. Then add the remaining cup of whole black beans to the sour cream mixture.
    2 Pour 1 cup of the pumpkin sauce into the bottom of a baking dish. Add 1/3 cup bean filling in center of tortilla and top with some chopped chicken. Don't overfill the tortillas. Roll up the enchilada and place seam side down in baking dish. Finish building the tortillas and top with grated cheese and cilantro.
    3 Bake at 350°F- 375°F.for about 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: QBabe[p]Source: Florida Eggfest '06, QBabe

• Eggoholic
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    I use chicken, cheese and sourcream, just quick and simple for a 5:45 dish. Always quick when you have the wife Blah, Blah in the ear!!

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Thanks for the recipe.
    My Best,
    Ross

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02477a.jpg
    <p />Sven,[p]No problem with using ovenware stuff in your Egg. I cook enchiladas, eggplant, lasagna, mac-n-cheese, etc in my Egg all the time. My favorite enchiladas are filled with cheese, spinach and onion.....they get a green chili sauce.[p]DSC02311a.jpg[p]Both cheese and tomato sauces take smoke easily, so go easy until you figure out how you like it. I like to grate some fresh on in the last 5 minutes[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery