Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting ready to put my large BGE in the table and I have a question. If I set the egg on a concrete paver stone, do I need to use the green ceramic holders under the egg, or can it sit directly on the concrete stone? Curious what others have done and if it makes any difference or not. Thanks!!

Comments

• iabbqguy,
    I beleive most reccomend using the green feet. The air space gives extra valuable insulation from heat transfer to your wooden table.
    Tom

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    iabbqguy,[p]I have two eggs. Both are on concrete pavers, one is on feet and one is not.[p]Neither of the eggs transfer any heat to the paver. I have done a highly scientific touch test during and after a long term high temp cook and the paver was cool to the touch.[p]I used to have the large in a nest, and since I built the table and put it directly on the stone I have not noticed any change in lump usage, temps, etc. I really don't think it makes a difference.[p]Click my profile for a pic if'n you want to view the difference side by side..
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    I used three firebricks under mine and did not use the green "legs." I was probably being paranoid, but I wanted to lift it high enough to let air circulate between the bottom of the egg and the wood. You're probably fine with a single paver, but you might just think about three bricks and the circulation issue.

Good luck....
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    I used three firebricks under mine and did not use the green "legs." I was probably being paranoid, but I wanted to lift it high enough to let air circulate between the bottom of the egg and the wood. You're probably fine with a single paver, but you might just think about three bricks and the circulation issue.

Good luck....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    iabbqguy,
    not sure where you live but up here in IL I first tried the stone and no feet. After the stone soaked up moisture from a rain one time it cracked with a loud POP - so new stone and feet replaced it! If nothing else at least the feet permit air to flow and thus dry out underneath your egg.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mario
    Mario Posts: 7
    iabbqguy,
    I used an 18"x18" piece of 1/4" ceramic tile and then also use the feet. I've had the egg at over 700DEG F and my table hasnt burnt down yet