Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIBS

Options
Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hello all,[p]I have some pork ribs that i want to cook tomorrow and wanted to know what temp & how long do i cook them i have removed the membrane as well and i used yellow mustard and dizzy coarse grind on them and they are now in a zip-lock bag in the refridge. awaiting the egg tomorrow thanks
Beast

Comments

• Beast,[p]Here is one way I do them.[p]Pork, Baby Back, Richard

Dawgtired,I like to rub them the night before with whatever rub I am in the mood for. Set up large, indirect with a drip pan of beer or water at 225F with a vertical holder. Cut 3-4 slabs in half and set in the rack. After about 2-3 hours spritz with orange juice when in a sweet mood, Soy and water when in an oriental one, apple juice and water or worchestershire when in a different mood. Spritz every 30 minutes or so. I do not remove and wrap in foil as many do, don't ask me why not just never do. Probably too messy. Sometimes I will sauce the last 45 minutes and some times will just take off after 5-6 hours and let everyone sauce themselves. Some like hot sauce, vinegar, or mustard etc. Depending on the crowd.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 02/24/07

[p]

• Metalhead
    Options
    Beast,
    First of all let me say this......I am no rib eggspert, but I have heard mention of a 3-1-1 method of cooking[p]3 hours indirect at about 225-240, then wrap in foil w/some of your favotite liquid for an hour, then back out of the foil indirect for a hour to firm up a bit[p]after taking out of the foil hold onto those things 'cause they gonna want to fall apart[p]last 20 or so minutes put on your sauce if you like[p]good luck[p]JAn

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Beast,
    I like to start out at 225 for a couple hours, bump up to 250 for a couple. Finish at 275 until they bend in half when picking up. Pull, sauce and put back on for about 20 minutes.
    That is for baby backs. You didn't mention, what kind of ribs you had.[p]Mike

• Beast
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    thanks i'll give it a try and see how it goes

• Beast
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    They are pork spare ribs another question do i put the ribs in the V rack on top of the drip pan or do i put the drip pan on top of the plate setter and put the V rack on the grid itself i have the egg comming up to temp as we speak 225-250 degrees to start does that sound about right?? someone please chime is ASAP be right back gotta go check on the temp dont want to over shoot temp and have to bring it back down...

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Beast,
    Put the drip pan on the plate setter. Plate setter feet up. V Rack on the grid. If you only have a couple racks and they will lay flay, skip the v rack if you want.

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    BTW...the spares take about 45 min to an hour longer than the baby backs.

• Beast
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    Thanks, they are on now and i put water in the drip pan is that ok as well if not i have time to remove it i'm looking at somewhere around 5:00-5:30 till done that way i have time to run to the store to pick up some other things i need

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Beast,
    I never add water but I don't think it will hurt anything.