Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you, Nature Boy. Chao Tom Rocks!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for your post the other day regarding sugarcane. I didn't actually use the recipe you provided, but it did remind me that I had seen something similar in one of my cookbooks. The BBQ Bible has a similar, but less complex version of "Chao Tom". [p]I fixed up the shrimp paste, applied it to the sugarcane, and egged it at 500 degrees for about 8 minutes. Twas perfectly browned and the saltiness of the paste meshed perfectly with the sweetness of the cane. I mixed Siracha, fish sauce and some sugarcane juice together as a sauce, it was okay but needs some work.[p]Anyway thanks for the advice and for jogging my memory.[p]Egg on!
Kevin

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kevin Klostermann,
    I love your ambition! I told my wife (Lan) I was thinking of cooking this, and she said "lets go out for it!" :).[p]Lan's family makes up the dippping suace (nuouc mam...sounds like nook mom), they use fish sauce, water, sugar, fresh garlic, and a few slices of hot red chile. Your sauce sound similar! Since sriracha has garlic and pepper.[p]Thanks for the report! Just might have to try it now.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ