Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza and the Guru

Options
Marvelous
Marvelous Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I intend to cook my first pizza and I need information regarding the guru and its use if any making pizza. Should I disconnect my guru and the housing connecting the guru and use my original setup with the bottom and top dampers.I would appreciate the proper setup for doing high temp cooking many thanks. I have another question I just purchased a 14inch screen I use my place setter then my pizza stone I put the three green legs under the screen and put this screen on top of the pizza stone is this correct?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Marvelous,
    You don't want to use the Guru for pizza, the high temps will damage the probe wires. You will need to remove the adapter from the lower door. -RP

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    Marvelous,[p](I'm a newbie until I've been branded otherwise)[p]Ditch the guru for making pizza - #1 you dont need it for high, quick cooking conditions and you will fry the probes.[p]Your setup is find, with or without the 3 feet, use plate setter and pizza stone and, lucky you, use the screen. 600ish for about 15 minutes.... I'll dig up some more info for you.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    20071020_11-57-12.jpg
    <p />You could also use the setup like Chef did at EGGfest '07 in the pic[p]There are a number of recipes out there. I downloaded all the cookbook pdfs:[p]and one had:
    Cook on a pizza stone on an elevated grill or on a platesetter for 20 minutes at 400°F or 15 minutes at 500°F.[p]More Info at wessb's great site below

[ul][li]http://www.wessb.com/Allfests/menu.htm[/ul]
  • Marvelous
    Options
    Jeeves,
    Thank You

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Marvelous,[p]Platesetter...legs down...green feet then the pizza stone on top of that...[p]One thing ..every pizza dough recipe isn't the same..
    So you will need to just watch how long it takes to bake your pizza to the way you like..[p]Everyone likes their pizza differently ...[p]If you like to have everything cooked and melted ..then 450 deg will do...[p]If you like a NY style pizza...then high heat...800 deg will do..but the pizza will cook quickly so if you are using meat..it should be already cooked..[p]The lower the heat....the longer the time you will need..
    What this does is cook the moisture out of the dough making it dryer and more crunchy...But the thickness of the dough will add to either a crunchy or more bread like.[p]If you are doing a NY style then you need to make the dough as thin as possible. The high heat causes the bread to rise quickly ..steam helps with this..[p]Since a NY style pizza cooks quickly and at a high heat you don't cook out the moisture...this gives you that crisp on the outside and chewy inside dough..
    Go light on the sauce ...and toppings..and you will have a great pizza..

• Green Grilla
    Options
    icemncmth,
    I am going to try a pizza in the 850 range this weekend. I have not been able to get above 650 with all the vents open and so I ordered a DigiQ so the fan will increase the air flow and hopefully the temperature. I did my first low and slow last week. This week I plan to use the DigiQ without putting the probes in the egg to prevent them from burning. I plan to regulate the temperature with the vents. I'll see how the plan goes.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Green Grilla,[p]You should be able to get 800 without problem....If you can't then you need to check to make sure you have your firebox situated so that the bottom vent and the hole in the firebox match up...[p]Aso try a different lump......[p]Just remember if you are going to bake pizza above 800 deg you might want to add a little more water to your dough...[p]
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Options
    Marvelous,[p]Like this...with your screen on top of the stone. Happy Eggin'...[p]IMG_3172.jpg
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com