Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Honey Baked Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone... I was thinking about tinkering around with a clone honeybaked ham glaze recipe I picked up and applying it to some pork ribs. It's sounds like fun using a torch to melt the concoction onto the meat carmelizing it and I thought it might be something interesting to experiment with.... starting with the original recipe and then playing with the spices. [p]The recipe for the glaze has spice similar for a pumpkin pie originaly with sugar of course.... but you could try different rubs etc. in it and experiment. [p]The site www.topsecretrecipes.com asks that I not distribute it.. but it is still posted there if you hurry. [p]Let me know what you think of my idea and suggestions for glaze alteration for ribs :)[p]Thanks.... Happy Egging everyone.. BB

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BB, interesting, but it seems like a lot of sugar - definately have to cook indirect at low temps. [p]I printed the recipe - I have some baby backs in the thaw stage - maybe a variation. :?}

• BB,
    If you take some tenderquick and put it in your rub
    you will also get a real hammy taste and color in those ribs.. If you want to go all out.. "Christmas ribs"[p]
    Dylan

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    BB,
    yo, Bobby, first check your email
    secondly if you're interested in a glaze on your ribs you gotta try Nature Boys recipe.
    http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0134.htm
    Just remember to quit "taste testing" the final sauce pot so you won't have to whip up another batch to put on the ribs!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw,[p]No no no no :) you cook the ribs plain as day... Then...when done... you put the sugar rub on them and carmelize them with a Bernzomatic or such type torch ... swiftly moving the torch to 'just carmelize' the sugar rub.[p]Thats my idea on them porkers :) It is a 'after the fact' of the wonderful cook on the Egg. Now whats your take ?[p]Happy Egging ... oh.. an Happy Holiday's BB
  • RRP,[p]Hi, I cant check my email because I am on my sons computer right now and I dont have access to the other email acct.[p]Have to wait till tomorrow morning to check it :([p]I would bet that it is something to the effect of 'stay away from the Cigs. and the mercury.. the gasket is on the way'. [p]Just guessing :)[p]I am checking out the suggested glaze recipe NOW ![p]Thanks for everything... you have been a great help in my egging adventures .... BB
  • Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Great suggestion.. :)[p]Never used Tenderquick.... I will have to introduce myself to such substance.[p]I think I had the link wrong... should have been [p]WWW.topsecretrecipes.com

Anyway... it described the process of taking a ordinary smoked ham and making it a precious 'Honeybaked' by using a torch and carmelizing the baby after it was spiral cut on the shank and then rolled in the sugar glaze powder ... then swiftly 'hand glazed' with a hand torch to carmelize. [p]I just started thinking... man... how about a turkey... corn on the cob... chicken... the sky is the limit you know :) Maybe even zucinni ?[p]My brain does that sometimes .... please forgive me :)[p]Happy Egging ... BB

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BB, should have read the recipe - anywya, I decided on some very basic baby backs - rubbed with a little salt, black and red pepper :~}

• Gfw,[p]Sounds Good :) I do them the same way.[p]Could it be that I just want to play with the torch :)[p]I love experimenting though... playing with my food.[p]Happy Egging. BB