Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Game Dinner

Options
Spin
Spin Posts: 1,375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,[p]We have enjoyed a local wild game dinner party held every year the first week of January (held for many years). Serious good fun. The secret to a very good party is to have the chief of police and at least one town council member attend. Close the road, set the band up on the asphalt and go till whenever! :-) [p]Last January we were not able to attend. This year they advertise "The second annual Pheasant cook-off". My competition will be the best of our local restuarant chefs (seriously capable chefs - at this event they have no restrictions). I do very well against them with ribs. They were asking me how I did them after the ribs disappeared so fast they never had a taste. These guys show up early with towed in rigs and everything they cooked was very good. The event is entirely for fun, good times, and sharing - the competition is just that.[p]The birds will be provided or you can use your own. All birds are to be obtained locally via normal hunting methods. If we can attend, I would (of course) bring an Egg just for fun ;-).[p]I have cooked several pheasants to our satisfaction, but do not consider myself competant at cooking pheasant. I am very interseted in any and all thoughts, suggestions, or methods for the cook.[p]Thanks in advance,
Spin

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Spin, go for the ribs! I would take ribs over Pheasant any day. Theirs might sound more interesting, but yours will definately taste better. Good Luck! :~}

• Spin
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I'm thinking of doing beef ribs this time just to raise the ante![p]Pheasant be the challenege for the fun.[p]Good to see you here,
    Spin

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Spin,[p]I'm no help to you regarding Pheasant, but if you want to stray a little and do a cook with pork, consider using the brine for Righteous Chops (or a derivative of it). I know that I've pushed Nature Boy's recipe a couple of times lately but all the tummies say "home run"! I've used the brine for both pork chops (center cut boneless)and a variation of the Toad's Pork Loin that knocked our socks off.[p]Whatever you do, go whoop'm![p]Puj
  • Spin
    Options
    Puj,[p]I here ya. Each event is very freeform and invites all offerings. Maybe "kick it up a notch"?. I believe I will be OK without using any plastic wrap :-).[p]Mr Toads recipe is very adaptable and always a treat. I haven't tried NB's brine recipe as of yet. I you could provide a link, I would be most appreciative.[p]Many thanks,
    Spin

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Puj, Wooohooo! Glad yall are enjoying the brine! Spice Cooks were the ones who posted the original idea of the brine for chops, I just twisted it around a tad. I got to meet Clay and Frances at the Eggfest a year or two ago, and they are genuinely good folks, and great cooks! Anyone heard from them, I wonder??
    Cheers Marc!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    'Evenin' Spin,
    Here is the link to my post. Please pass on some feedback if you try it! I love hearing about how different folks add their own touches.[p]Howdy to Sue, and Happy Holidays to the whole family!
    NB

[ul][li]Righteous Chops Brine[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Puj
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You are so right about the Spice Cooks and unfortunately I haven't seen any sightings recently. :([p]Puj
  • Puj
    Options
    Spin,[p]I see that Sir Chris has provided the link. The changes that I've done to the brine is substitute 1:1 apple cider in place of apple juice, and omitted the lemongrass (only for the lack of availability). I think the brine offers a great base for you to do your own tweeking and it truly is a big asset to the final product of the pork.[p]Puj
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Spin,
    We recently did some pheasants, and I'm convinced that they are worth doing on the egg like any other poultry - IF - you have an opportunity to brine them. Otherwise, they will be dry. A brined and rubbed pheasant on the egg is excellent. Have fun, Marvin