Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter vs. drip pan ...

Options
EggDawg
EggDawg Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So many recipes call for either fire bricks/plate setter or they call for the use of a drip pan. Can I use the drip pan instead of plate setter for indirect cooking? Or do plate setters/fire bricks make a big difference over the drip pan for indirect cooking?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    EggDawg,[p]Adding the drip pan does change a cook from direct to indirect but it is the bare minimum. The drippings are apt to burn (smoke) with just a drip pan. I sometimes use a sheet of aluminium over the drip pan with water under it (like a double boiler) to help add more shield and to keep drippings from burning. Placing the drip pan on firebricks or on an inverted setter is better and it allows highr temps without the fear of burning the drippings or the meal.[p]Tim
  • EggDawg
    Options
    Thanks, Tim M. Good point about the double boiler - couldn't hurt for moistness, either, even though the BGE gives great results with moistness.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    EggDawg,[p]I don't really think it helps food stay moister, but it certainly won't make it drier. [p]Tim
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    EggDawg,[p]I don't have any firebricks or a plate setter. I sometimes us a pizza stone under the drip pan for indirect cooking, but I don't often do that. My usual setup for low and slow cooking is a drip pan on the grid, second grid or roasting rack, and meat on top of that. I use this set up for turkeys, pulled pork, brisket, etc. I've never had any problems cooking this way.

• EggDawg
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,Thanks a lot!