Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Membrane

schwatk
schwatk Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
THANKS everyone for the advice on smoking ribs.[p]Now I have another question for you. I was at the only butcher shop I know of where I live. I was checking out the ribs. I'll be picking them up on Saturday for the cook on Sunday. I mentioned removing the membrane and the butcher said he doesn't remove them when he barbeques ribs. He acted like it was an old wives tale and said not to bother with it. Do you recommend I remove the membrane on beef ribs. [p]THANKS again for all the help![p]Joe

Comments

• Alpine Angler,
    YES! Tell him to remove the membrane, they reweigh the ribs.[p]Mike

• Alpine Angler,[p]Doesn't make a lot of difference with backs but it really does with spares. I always remove them for both.[p]Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Alpine Angler,[p]Most here remove them. My butcher will remove them for me if he has not done so before packaging. Your butcher may be lazy. LOL (:~[p]Good Luck,
    Bordello

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Alpine Angler,
    Kinda like wearing a rain coat in the shower and then wondering why you didn't get wet! Yes, I remove the membrane. Ever feel and examine that stuff? Regardless of the arguments that may be thrown out tonight IMHO I think it needs to be removed to let the rub do the proper flavoring to the meat - not against the slippery body cavity membrane.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    99716037.jpg
    <p />Alpine Angler,[p]Granted, a lot of Q joints don't have time to remove the membrane, like if they are cooking 300 racks a day. But speaking as a regular backyard guy, I take the membrane off my bison ribs, beef ribs, lamb ribs and pork ribs.[p]
    42ab65d8.jpg[p]DSC03051a.jpg[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JD McGee
    JD McGee Posts: 250
    Alpine Angler,[p]Yes...definitely! Here's a link to show you how just in case you need it. The link below is for spares and how to trim them "St. Louis" style as well as removing the membrane.[p]JD
    [ul][li]http://virtualweberbullet.com/spareribprep.html[/ul]
    Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ Team Pacific Northwest BBQ Association's 2011 "Team Of The Year" www.winecountryq.com
  • thirdeye,[p]I've done over 300 racks solo at night after working hard all day. I'll never feed anyone a rib that's not had the membrane peeled. It does get easier with experience ;)[p]Konrad

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Alpine Angler,[p]Its easy to remove. I always ask myself if I want to season the membrane or the meat? Once removed you are seasoning meat and that's the whole point.[p]Remove it my good fellow![p]Cheers!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Alpine Angler,
    OFF with the membrane![p]M