Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza screen

Options
Foxy-Q
Foxy-Q Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At Eggtober fest I noticed that someone was cooking pizza on a screen. He said that he believes it give a nicer crust. I have a large egg and so I bought the stone from BGE instead of using the pampered chief stone I have. I am wondering how big of a screen can I safely put on the egg. I would like to bake on a 16' or 17' screen on top of the platesetter and stone. I do not want to destroy the gasket, so what should I do. Does the gasket melt that easy?[p]Thanks,
Foxy-Q

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Foxy-Q, what destroys the gasket (other than spilling all kinds of juices on it) is leaving the dome open during a hot fire. When cooking pizza, many people open the dome then go get their pizza to put it on and then close the dome. Or they open the dome to remove the pizza, take it off and then take it inside to set it down and come back to close the dome. This exposes the gasket to a very high temp (and oxygen) and since it is felt, it burns. Keeping the dome closed means felt is sitting on felt with no oxygen so it does not burn.

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Options
    Foxy-Q,[p] Me and my fellow teamates (TEAM TASTE IT) were the people using screens at the Eggfest. I recommend a screen that is the same size as your stone. If you use a screen that is larger than your stone, you will inevitably make a pizza to the size of the screen and then you will burn the outer edge. I have done it. I have a 1larger screen and never use it for that reason. As far as gasket issues, I have'nt had any issues concerning pizza cooking. Believe me, you will blow that gasket out sooner or later due to pizza cooking, but don't worry. I have been cooking with very little gasket for over a year now! Good luck and good eating!![p]Paul
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Foxy-Q,
    I use a 16" stone without destroying gaskets. If you bought the 14" stone you should be fine, and of course, you should then be using a 14" or less screen.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Foxy-Q
    Foxy-Q Posts: 28
    Options
    eggvis,
    I bought the 14' stone from BGE, but it seems so small I was hoping to bake use a lerger screen on the stone, but you are saying that any dough thst is not on the stone would burn. I guess I would be better to make 2 14' pizzas instead of one large one. Is the 14' stone what you all were using at the fest?

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Foxy-Q,
    The screen has 1/8 inch holes all over the screen and any flame or excess hot whatever will not be a problem.Just do not build a pie larger than 14 inches.I mark off my wooden peel with 8/10/12/14 inch circles to act as a guide for the size of my dough so I know the diameter of the pie will be the right size when it goes to the the Egg with a screen,baking pan,stone,etc.I tried to post this from work today and got a posting problem error at work.

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    eggvis,
    Do you know of any chain stores that carry the screens or do you have to go on line? Enjoyed your pizza!

• Susan Egglaine,[p]do you have any restaurant supply stores near you or a friendly pizza store owner?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Susan Egglaine,[p]Found these on line.
    [ul][li]Pizza Screens[/ul]
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    Looks like it will do the trick!!!
    Happy pizzzaeggin.

• Susan Egglaine
    Options
    richard Fl,
    No supply stores around, but some nice pizza places.
    Thanks!!