Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife's got some ground chicken out

Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about something along Mexican food....anyone have any ideas?[p]John

Comments

• okeejohn,
    Chicken chili w/ chick peas[p]or brown it with some wing sauce and scoop into cresent pastries with crumbled blue cheese.[p]Bob

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    okeejohn,
    You could make this meatloaf with the ground chicken.
    Larry[p]Mexican Meatloaf [p]Submitted by: SpiceCooks
    Ingredients:[p]
    • 2 lb Ground Chuck - I used 1lb ground chuck and 1lb ground pork
    • 2/3 Cup Salsa
    • 1 Tbs Spicy Seasoning Mix - I used 1/2 Tbs Black Pepper
    • 1/3 Cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper - I used 1/2 Cup
    • 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion - I used 1/2 cup
    • 1 Cup Crushed Tortilla Chips
    • 1 Egg, Slightly beaten
    • 1 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese [p]Preparation Directions:
    • Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined. [p]Cooking Directions:
    • Spray broiler pan rack with Pam. Line tray with aluminum foil. Place meatloaf on broiler pan rack and let sit at room temperature for one hour. Preheat BGE to 350°. Using the indirect method of cooking with firebricks, place the meatloaf on the firebricks. Insert polder and set temperature to 160°. Cook until polder alarms. Remove from EGG and let rest for 30 minutes before slicing. [p]Special Instructions:
    • Excellent when served with jalapeno corn casserole from the forum recipe section.[p]

[p]
    Mexican Meatloaf Topping[p]
    Submitted by: SpiceCooks
    1 can cheddar cheese soup
    1/3 cup salsa
    1/4 cup milk
    1 teaspoon spicy seasoning mix
    Combine in saucepan on stove on medium heat. Bring to a simmer stirring frequently, do not boil. Serve on top of the meatloaf.[p]

• okeejohn,
    Best ground chicken recipe is to season the ground chicken well -- Soya sauce, worchester sauce, lots of spices, fried onions, etc... It's prett bland on its own.
    THEN.....
    Buy portabello mushrooms.
    Make a "portabello mushroom sandwich". In other words, cover the mushroom with ground chicken making a patty. You shouldn't be able to see any of the mushroom once it's done. I hope I explained this well -- the mushroom should be hidden inside the burger. [p]Buy big buns (the finished product is on the large side and they don't shrink much because there isn't much fat in ground chicken).[p]Cook with direct heat at 375 for 15-20 minutes each side. I usually add some cherry wood.[p]Makes a nice alternative to plain burgers.[p]Let me know how it goes.

• Is that a chicken with no legs? :)
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    BluesnBBQ, Yep, a new "market" breed. Since they can't run away to escape their destiny, why waste the feed on 'em to grow legs? 8 - )[p]Rascal

• Rascal,[p]Is this similar to a boneless chicken ranch?[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver