Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook Times

Options
Jim R.
Jim R. Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can not complain about anything that has came off the BGE.What I can't do is get any cook in the timetable that are in recipes or posts.Example small butt 24 hrs,5lb brisket 15hrs,meatloaf tonight(delicious)2+hrs.Checked Polder it read 208 in boiling water the dome- themometer checked out perfect.Fire seems great!Anything else?

Comments

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Jim R,
    A butt cooked at 225 may take 16-18 hours, a butt cooked at 300-325 may take 6-8 hours. Go by the internal temp, the probe temp, there are lots of variables. Resist the temptation of opening the lid will your cooking, open it only when you have too.
    Mark

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MxMeatloaf2.jpg
    <p />Jim R, the cook times seem long. If you like mesatloaf, check out the link. Times and temperatures are posted. Give it a try and see how the time compares.

[ul][li]Mexican Meatloaf[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Jim R,[p]I agree with you. Timing is a toughy. I would suggest keeping records (I started a website to refer back to) because times will vary somewhat. After awhile you will develope a "feel" for your cook and adjust as needed. If you're going indirect you will find that going to 300 when the recipe calls for 250 is just another step that you know you can fall back on when needed. After awhile it just becomes normal. Timing a meal to be done "just when you want it" is often hard. I find that we all gather around the Egg and have an extra adult beverage or two while the meal cooks. Your eggsperience is not unusual but it gets better with experience. My worst nightmares are when I do something "new" when company is coming. Good luck.[p]Tim
  • Jim R.
    Jim R. Posts: 103
    Options
    Gfw,
    I remember seeing that before and used the heavy foil, drip pan,also used plate setter.I bet the reason for my long cook was using 325 Dome not the 375.Thanks cleared that one up!So much to learn!The log suggested by Tim will be started.Just a side note I did have a neighbor waiting for his portion of the meatloaf,his veggies were well done.