Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Bacon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone share info. on how to properly brine a small (3 lb.) pork
tenderloin to make Canadian Bacon. I know that someone on this forum
had the recipe listed several months ago. I couldn't find the recipe
on the archive section. Thanks, and happy q'ing to all you 'eggers!

Comments

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Babe Gish, From the late great Rytek Kutas - 2 1/2 quarts ice water, 3 oz dextrose, 1 oz Morton's Tender Quick, 4 oz salt. Inject the loin with 4 oz of the solution. Put the loin into the remaining solution and refridgerate for 4 to 6 days. Wash it off and stuff into a casing. You can sew a muslin casing to the right size. If you soak the casing in vinegar first, it won't stick as much when you pull it off.
    Take your egg to 130 deg without smoke for 4 hrs. Increase the temp slowly to 150 deg and smoke for three hrs. Increase the pit to 160 deg and cook until the internal temp of the meat reaches 142 deg. Cool the meat off by holding it under cold water for a few minutes. Hang til dry. Refridgerate over night. Eat. I've never done a canadian bacon but I do sausages per Ryteks book and he is the best.

• db, Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Babe Gish, Welcome to the group, and may I add that when db goes to the trouble to lay something like this out for ya, its a humdinger and its accurate..Good Job db.[p]BTW..My wife likes to do that water treatment to me sometimes ..holding me under for a few minutes. :-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Babe Gish,
    Here is a link to the thread where I asked the same question. I got some wonderful responses. Unfortunately, I still have not had a chance to try Spin's method.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Canadian Bacon[/ul]