Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Birthday present - Table and cast iron grate!!

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I came home from work today, opened the garage door and there was a new BGE table for my large BGE. My wife had bought it for my birthday. Then I went inside the house and found that she had also gotten me a new cast iron cooking grate. Turned out to be a very nice birthday.[p]Does anyone know if these tables need to be treated with anything prior to use. The guy at Ace told her it was made of cypress wood. I'd like to keep it in good shape as long as I can.[p]Then with the cast iron grate. It sounds like I can cook on either side. I read in the archives that the flat side is better for burgers and the angled side is better for steaks? Does this sound correct? As far as seasoning the cast iron goes, I read where some say it's necessary and others say that because of the higher temps for steaks it's not really necessary. What do you guys think?[p]Any help or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    iabbqguy,
    as far as seasoning your grat forget about it i did and it has not hurt me.[p]as far as the table [p]1. first and foremost HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    2. i don't have one
    3. if my wife didn't mind i would hit your wife up for my birthday present in dec. (some guys are lucky)[p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    iabbqguy,
    Can't help you with the questions, but hug the wife and realize you have a keeper. Happy birthday! -RP

• Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    iabbqguy,
    Happy Bday!! and tell your wife, mines in January(she has plenty of time to save up)!Haha. Post some pics! of the table!

• dbishopdbishop Posts: 34
    iabbqguy,
    Looks like you did have a great birthday, you have a great wife, happy grilling. As far as the table goes in some cases you do need to seal it with something, I am attaching an excert from a email I receiced from my rep FYI
    "4. CEDAR TABLE MAINTANCE:
    A. BIG GREEN EGG TABLE SHOULD BE PROTECTED FROM THE ELEMENTS TO
    RETAIN THEIR BEAUTY and KEEP THEM FROM WARPING AND DISCOLORING.
    a. This may be done by applying a protective sealer to the table, covering the table, moving the table into a protective area out to the elements.
    B. Shortly Big Green Egg will provide us with a flyer showing
    how to properly maintain tables and I will get this into everyone's hands
    just as soon as it is received.
    C. WARRANTY WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IF IT IS DETERMINED A TABLE HAS
    NOT BEEN PROPERLY MAINTAINED AND PROTECTED."[p]Hope this helps
    DB[p]

• Smokin' ToddSmokin' Todd Posts: 1,099
    iabbqguy,
    I had my table going on 3 yrs now and so far great success using the same stuff I use to treat my deck- Olympic, which is sold at Lowe's.
    Others will probably chime is for more sturdier products they use.
    ST