Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterfly Chicken again....

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Butterfly_Chicken_12-17.jpg
<p />Butterfly chicken for dinner again. No matter how many times I cook a bird this way, we never tire of the great taste and texture.[p]This bird was cooked on my large BGE, direct on a raised grill at 375, thirty minutes bone side, flip, 30 minutes meat side. Before cooking I liberally applied Purdhommes Chicken Magic.[p]I love it when I can come home from work in the middle of December and prepare a bird like this and be finished eating and cleaned up before 7:00 pm.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Carl T,
    Good lookin bird. I have been enjoying them this way also.[p]Poultry Magic is a pretty good seasoning....but dang, it aint cheap. Here is a clone recipe if you are looking to whip up sumthin similar yourself!

[ul][li]Poultry Magic deciphered[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sparky
    Sparky Posts: 34
    Options
    Did you do that great looking bird direct or indirect?
    I've been kinda afraid to cook things direct for fear
    of burning things.[p]Thanks Sparky

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Sparky,[p]It was done direct on a grill raised with two firebrick on edge. I too thought that cooking direct at 350 without turning the meat would burn it to a crisp, but it doesn't.[p]I am trying to learn more about direct cooking myself. There are more experienced eggers, JJ and djm5x9 to name two, who do a lot of direct cooking. I understand that direct cooking is kind of an art that produces results that cannot be matched by any other method.[p]Give it a try. The Naked Whiz has a website where he explains in detail the prep and set up I used for this bird. I'm sure you can find the link to his site in posts from him below. Good Luck.[p]Carl T