Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

jalapeno mother load!

Rick's Tropical Delight
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
jalapenos-002.jpg
<p />so i pull up my ten jalapeno plants since we had our first frost. i reckon there was a few left on the vine![p]ok, big green egg forum... what do i do with them?[p]i've already made 100 chiptoles from these ten plants earlier this summer, so give me something new[p]i think we are having abt's this weekend!!

Comments

• Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Looks good. I tried doing ABT's this weekend. Couldn't find a dozen jalepeno's more than 2" long so I said forget it.

• bignakedbuffalobutt-022_2.jpg
    <p />Buster Dog BBQ,
    hey mon! you just need to think out of the box and get creative... how about a jalapeno stuffed chicken breast or an open faced jalapeno pulled pork portabello mushroom?[p]atomicbuffalopattie-003.jpg[p]atomicbuffalopattie-012.jpg[p]abt's can be made several ways[p]stay tuned for more wacky recipes from
    Rick's Tropical Delight!
    *not tryin to sell nuthin*
    HA!

they were for some buddies. Buddies were getting pizza and abt's. Now maybe for the family they get the chicken.

• Buster Dog BBQ,
    i'm going to freeze some of these in the foodsaver bags and hopefully have fresh abt's in february!

My buddy just gave me a small container that looked like ground coffee. It was habanero's put through a pizza oven a few times then ground up. Wow. You want to talk hot. When I was going to do the abt's last weekend I thought...maybe a Russian roulette of abt's with this used in one of them. Ha ha ha (evil Halloween laugh).

You pickle them. They are much better than anything you can buy. Recipe is simple:
    Bring to boil 17c water, 1 c non-iodized salt, 1 c cider vinegar.
    Slice peppers and stuff into quart jars, alternately adding peeled and gently smashed garlic cloves (about 6-8 per jar) and sprigs of fresh dill (one on bottom, on half way full, one on top). You can also add asparagus (Bloody Marys!!!) or green beans. Ladle the hot brine directly into the jars. Then use a vacuum sealer to evacuate and seal the jar. This will make very crispy peppers and the vinegar and salt (along with boiling everything first) will prevent any contamination. I have never had a problem with this method. If you panic and demand sterilized pickles, place them in a hot water bath and process 20 minutes, but prepare for soft pickles. Wait 2 weeks before opening.

• Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Chubby and GirlyEgg posted a tomatoe idea recently and they were EGGcelent. Should work for the red jalapenos also. I keep my tomatoes in a ziploc in the fridge. Great on pasta, salads, Kind of an undercooked chipotle and they can be done on the egg also. [p]Tomatoes, Dried, Chubby

Yesterday...I had the most wonderful smelling house...if you're Itallian, or Itallian at heart!!In order to get better flavor from tomatos this time of year I occassionally watch for Roma's (on sale), buy a bunch, and spend a couple days slow roasting/drying them to concentrate the flavors!!Pretty simple..

1 Slice lengthways....scoop out most of the seeds and juice.
    2 Drizzle with "good" Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic.
    3 Sprinkle with diced garlic, fresh ground black pepper, grey salt, sweet basil... and thyme.
    4 Slow roast on a cooling rack over a sheet (or jelly roll) pan for 3-4 hours @ 275.
    5 If you have a Convection oven...use it!
    6 Store in the Refrigerator.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Author: Chubby[p]Source: BGE Forum, Chubby, 03/03/06[p]They sure come in handy for salads, pasta dishes, or as a condiment on sandwiches!![p]They're a staple at "Chubby's Crib".. all year round!![p]Evans

• DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Hey bud, I pulled 10 or 12 last night myself and cut them into strips, then into buttermilk and last into a flour/cormeal mix and fried them MAN O MAN were they good. Did about 3 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal. Wifey was picking up sushi so I was trying to think of something that'd go with it LOL WORKED WELL I might add. Man, I wish I had the time to do all the cooking on the Egg that some of you guys do. I go to work at 6 AM and get off at 5 or 5:30 in the evenings. Just don;t have time to get the eegg going and cook that late. Wife usually cooks during the week and we TRY and eat by 6 so it's just not possible to cook on my egg during the week. DADGUM this getting older crap and watching what ya eat. I ended up gaining 8 pounds after I got my egg LOL, got 4 back off and ALOT of work to do to get rid if the other 4 LOL