Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Almonds

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recipt for smoked almonds? I seem to remember something going around a while back about them. Can't find it now. Thanks[p]Carey

Comments

• Just-RuthandJim
    Options
    Sundown, I was the one that asked for (and received) help concerning smoking almonds. I have found that the almonds we (and our friends) prefer start with raw almonds. I use soy sauce for the saltiness, a dash of Worchestershire sauce for the spice and cayanne pepper for the hot. The amount of those items depend on your flavor preferences. I marinate the nuts in the sauce for several hours and then smoke them in one of the grill pans with all the small holes. I cook indirect at 200 deg dome temperature using hickory chips. It is easy to burn the nuts so I set a timer for 10 minutes so I can stir the nuts and check their cripness. The 10 minute intervals are continued until the nuts are crisp....cooking time is between 30 and 50 minutes but we think the results are worth the effort. We won't purchase smoked almonds again!

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Sundown, Ruth and Jim are right on. My only suggestion is to maybe add some onion/garlic powder to some along with the cayenne pepper for some hot and spicy variations. The fun with the almonds is that they're always good ( unless you burn them :( ) so keep an eye out, and you should no problem. HTH.
    ChefRD

• Vents
    Vents Posts: 15
    Options
    Sundown,
    I spray mine with olive oil,and then sprinkle on some garlic salt.If you don't have a sprayer for the olive oil,you can use Pam with olive oil.I use an old splatter screen,that you would use over a frying pan,and spread the almonds out over the surface of the screen.Target temp. 200,for an hour,and use hickery chips.They come out great.Good luck!