Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt and Brisket cook help

Options
JM
JM Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to cook a flat brisket and a pork butt together. I have read that the cook temp for brisket is 250 -275 and I usally cook lower for the butt (225).[p]Here are my questions:
1. What dome temp to cook. (assuming that I can or should cook together.)
2. How long will a brisket flat take to cook. I have done a big ol' brisket that took 20 hours. I have a 5# flat only.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    JM,[p]The brisket flat will cook quite nicely using your butt cooking temperature. The flat should run in the 12-13 hour range for the cook. I have flats that tended to run much longer (17 hours), but only a couple that have run under 12 hours.[p]Spin
  • JM
    Options
    Spin,
    Do I have to wrap the brisket in foil?[p]I appreciate your help with the time information. I had read some of the receipes that said to expect around 5 hours. Can you imagine why?

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JM,
    I did a 7 pound butt, and a 6 pound brisket a week or two ago. They work nicely together side by side, and mine cooked at nearly the same rate. The brisket finished an hour earlier, and benefitted from an hour rest in the foil. My total cook was nearly 20 hours, but I knocked the dome temp back to 225 in the morning (for a spell, it was as low as 200 which slowed things down a lot). It had gone overnight at 240, and probably would have been a 16-17 hour cook had I not stepped it back in the morning. [p]I am guessing your 5 pound brisket will probably take 12-15 hours in the 240-250 range. What size is your butt??[p]It is a great combo cook, with a wide range of taste between the two![p]Hope that helps a tad. When is the event?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Spin,
    Dang Spin. You taught me good! I was babbling while you posted a nice short-to-the-point on-the-mark response.[p]Best to you and a hug to Sue.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JM
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the help. The big event is tomorrow night. We are having around 20 people over for a little food and music. People are bringing their guitars for a little jam session.[p]Where should I expect the plateau for the brisket? I also just posted a question regarding the use of foil for the brisket - Is it necessary.[p]The butt is 8.5 pounds.

• Spin
    Options
    JM,[p]No foil for the cook. As flats tend to be shy of a decent fat cap, a covering of bacon (I use slab bacon) will provide.[p]Spin

• JM
    Options
    Spin,
    I had my butcher cut me a large piece of fat to go over the brisket. [p]The flat is only about 2 inches thick. Is that a normal thickness for a flat?

• Spin
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Since I can't type fast, I have to keep it short ;-).[p]Best to you and your,
    Spin

• Spin
    Options
    JM,[p]Actually 2" thick is more than I am used to seeing. The flats I get tend much closer to 1.5" thick with the thickness tapering down on one end.[p]Use the provided fat to cover the cut. I would suggest that you could remove any fat from the cut and rub the meat itself. I like to cook the rubbed meat with no fat cap to an internal temperature of around 160-170°F (start it without the fat cap in the evening and add the cap in the morning). This adds time to the cook (you have the time), but provides more rub flavor to the meal.[p]Spin
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    JM,
    After you remove the chunk-o-chest from the cooker, at 190-200 internal, wrap in foil for 30 minutes or so before slicing. Otherwise, no foil necessary.[p]The plateau usually occurs between 150 and 165.[p]Aww man. Guitars. Jamming. Wish I were gonna be there.
    have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JM
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Its gonna be fun.[p]Thanks for your help.