Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egret’s chili… Amazing!!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried it this weekend. I followed the recipe pretty close. Held off on the green peppers (they give my heart burn), went a little light on the hot peppers, and substituted the recommended rub with my own as I didn’t have it. Absolutely fantastic results!!! My wife said it’s the best chili she’s ever tasted… I’d have to agree but having been the one who cooked it I’m a bit partial. First time to cook something on the egg in a Dutch oven. What fun… just another great reason to have a Green Egg. Thanks for the recipe and keep ‘em coming. Ed

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    1/2 Chicken,[p]This one:
    Cow Lickin’ Chili
    by John Hall (egret)
    Ingredients :
    Olive Oil
    1 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck
    1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups Onion (chopped)
    1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    1 Tbls. Garlic (minced)
    1 (28 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 (15 oz.) can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 can Rotel
    2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
    3 Tbls. Chili Powder
    1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder
    1 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin
    1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp. dried Oregano
    3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups Beef Broth
    1 cup Dry Red Wine
    2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
    Wood Chunks[p]???[p]Man, lots of stuff. Can someone just send me some?

• Jeeves,
    Which Rotel?
    My Best,
    Ross

• Jeeves,[p]That’s the one. It is a lot of stuff but worth the time and expense. I fired up my egg and put the meat on for about an hour as directed with a little apple for smok. During that time I had a couple beers and prepped everything else. After the hour I put the meat on a couple paper plates and sautéed the onion/peppers/garlic… had another beer then the wet goods less the beans then back with the meat and then the spices. Literally as soon as those spices hit the pot I knew this was going to be something special… and it was. I highly recommend trying it. [p]
  • Ross in Ventura,[p]I went with the "original". Did'nt want it too hot the first time trying.

• Foxy-Q
    Foxy-Q Posts: 28
    1/2 Chicken,[p]I bought the stuff today to make the chili on Friday. I can not find Ancho chile powder, I am going to keep looking outwise I guess I will just use extra chili powder.
    I can not wait to try it.
    Foxy-Q

• Foxy-Q,[p]I could'nt find Ancho chili powder either. I used regular and it worked fine. I was going for a milder chili anyway so I wouldn’t scorch the wife and kids. Still though... I'll keep an eye for the Ancho.
  • Foxy-Q
    1/2 Chicken,
    I too want a little milder so I was going to also leave out the chili's to float on top.

• I actually bought the dry chili’s to float on top but somehow they stayed in the bag that ultimately ended in the trash that then had about 50 pounds of tree trimmings and wet leaves put in it later that day. I didn’t bother trying to fish them out of 4 huge bags of yard stuff I created that day.[p]I only used 1 each of the peppers recommended… I tested them first and the Serranos I had were HOT. Mine could have been a little hotter for my taste but my wife though it was perfect… I would have liked to try the floating pepper trick... nex time i guess. Good luck and enjoy and post how it comes out.[p]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    1/2 Chicken,[p]What's 'a can of "Rotel"?
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Foxy-Q,[p]Kroger carries it here in the Metro area.
  • mr.b
    mr.b Posts: 75
    1/2 Chicken, where is the recipe posted? i never saw it when you asked him originally? i am in the mood for some good chili as the weather is certainly changing here in michigan. thanks

• Sundown,[p]Check out the link. It goes well with a good melting cheese. Nuke in the micro for 10 min at 50% power stirring every 3 or so minutes and you have a good spicy cheese dip. Use 1 can for 8-16ozs of cheese depending on how hot you like it. Can usually be found in stores around the canned tomatoes.
    [ul][li]Ro Tel[/ul]
  • Sundown,[p]Rotel is a brand of chopped tomatoes, peppers and some other goodies. It’s most usually used by mixing with Velvita Cheese (if you can call that cheese) and making nacho cheese dip. You should be able to find it right next to the canned tomatoes at your market. Might as well grab two cans and some Vevita and some corn chips and make that as well. It’s aint good for you but always a hit at a football game

• mr.b,
    Check out Jeeves post about 6 down in the same thread.

• 1/2 Chicken,[p]Want to kick it up a little. Crumble up and fry off a tube of breakfst sausage. Mix that with the cheese and Rotel.[p]Good stuff. Just don't have your cholesterol checked for the next week:)[p]Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Mike in Abita,[p]Or chop up a fattie.....
  • Fidel,
    That sounds even better.:)

• Fidel,[p]My arteries are clogging just thinking of that one… don’t bet I wont try it though.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    1/2 Chicken,
    Glad you and your wife liked it. Mine tends to shy away from these sort of things. If you ever get some CowLick try it in this and see what you think!

• 1/2 Chicken,
    I haven't read all the posts....can you post a link to the recipe. I need to make a batch for the colts/pats game on sunday.

• Eggin in Peoria,
    I found it.

• Foxy-Q
    egret,
    I do not have cow lick, would raising the steaks work as well?[p]Foxy-Q

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Foxy-Q,
    I can't say from taste tests whether that would be a good substitute or not. It tastes quite a bit different. There have to be some places near you where you can get some of the DP rub!?? The mother ship sells it, among other places, such as some ACE Hardware stores......

• egret,
    Hey egret...can you think of a place that sells DP rubs ?? Comon think hard dude.....

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer,[p]Does this place qualify??? John is probably sampling Chubby's Grape Soda.HEHE!

[ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/[/ul]
  • schwatk
    schwatk Posts: 11
    1/2 Chicken,[p]I'm still a newbie when it comes to the BGE. I have a medium. And would love to try Egret's Chili recipe.
    Can you or anyone post or send me both the recipe and the method for cooking this chili?[p]THANKS for any and all help![p]Joe

• Alpine Angler,[p]The recipe is posted down the chili link, but not the directions. This should help.[p]Chili, Cow Lickin’
    [p]Ingredients :
    Olive Oil
    1 1/2 lbs ground Chuck
    1 lb Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups Onion (chopped)
    1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 Jalapeno Chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    1-2 Serrano Chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    1 Tbs Garlic (minced)
    1 28 Oz Can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 15 Oz Can Diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 Can Rotel
    2 15 Oz Can Pinto or Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
    3 Tbs Chili Powder
    1 Tbs Ancho Chile Powder
    1 1/2 Tbs ground Cumin
    1 tsp Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp ground Cinnamon
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp dried Oregano
    3 Tbs Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups Beef Broth
    1 cup Dry Red Wine
    2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
    Wood Chunks

Preparation:
    1 Preheat your Egg to 350° with inverted plate setter (legs up).
    2 Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbs. olive oil.
    3 Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden
    4 spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
    5 Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
    6 Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
    7 Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
    8 Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper,
    9 jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3
    10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add
    11 water as needed to prevent drying).
    12 Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to
    13 -325 degrees. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: John Hall (egret)[p]Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '07, Egret