Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would YOU COOK

DonDon
DonDon Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK It's my BDay this week and I've got a smartelic friend thats was born with a silver spoon in his mouth if you know what I mean and I get tired of him saying, well I've got that and that. HEck he doesn't have to work, just lives off the 100 grand he gets every year from dear old daddy. Needless to say he and I always have one heck of a battle going cause I've worked my butt off to get ahead in life. What would YOU COOK to blow everyone's mind? Thanks guys and gals!!!

Comments

• DonDon,
    well, if money is no object ..and you just want to blow people away. ..how about a big prime rib roast or lobster stuff tenderloin? .. .[p]that, or if he is a griller wanna-be. ..challenge him to a throw down. .. somethng like ribs or beer can chickens, invite all of your mutual friends or neighbors over to be judges, then really spank him good in front of everyone. ..may be more satisfying that way. .. ...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    beef wellington is good too. either whole or in individual filets.[p]serve with bordeaux... (have him bring it)

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • DonDon
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks bud, what I'm looking at is about 10-12 people coming over for my BDay and my boy thinks he can do some grilling. THINKS is the key word. Last time we went to his house he served a boston butt, it MAYBE got up to 145 degrees and he made pulled pork outta it. OK he TRIED to pull it LOL 145 is OK IF you want to slice it. LOL Was actually thinking about steak and lobster but was seeing if anyone else had any ideas. I'm looking at spending someonewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300 so I've got a decent budget for the party. Man love the pics you put out there, mine don;t turn out that good LOL

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    I don't cook for a 'friend' like that![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• DonDon,
    Why try and beat him at his own game (spending money). Cook whatever you do best and show him that it ain’t all about money, it’s about quality (of life). [p]If it were me I would be showing him that all the money in the world can’t buy ribs the way I cook them.

• DonDon,
    Give him cheap hot dogs.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    DonDon,[p]If the guy can't do pulled pork, maybe order an organic Berkshire hog butt, which will not be cheap, and do that to perfection. [p]gdenby

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I was just reading this thread out loud, and Mama said to ask Max for the recipe for that lobster stuffed tenderloin. That's got Christmas eve written all over it. It's also got our vote as the best candidate for DonDon to push back at his haughty friend.[p]Happy Birthday, DonDon.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    DonDon,
    if it were my birthday i would cook food that i like. lamb or lasagna would be my first choice, maybe some fried seafood. some cubed spam baked in mustard and grape jelly with tooth picks if i wanted to take it over the top. i picked up an antique electric turkey roaster this weekend and got it up to 500 degrees, i would set it up with oil on the table and let folks fry their own seafood fondue style, its worked out well in the past and is much easier than cooking foreveryone. shrimp scallops lobster, some batter and a couple of sauces

[ul][li]lamb kabobs[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DonDon,[p]Naw -- Challenge himn to a throwdown -- plain, ole burgers, and affer to supply the meat.[p]Give him 93% fat-free [the best, most expensive!], and you do the cheapest [measely 80%] and tell him you'll STILL beam him, with cheap meat![p]That'll be a spankin'![p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Is there a link to the lobster stuffed beef TL. That sounds amazing and perfect for my gourmet club I have to cook at soon. Ed[p]
  • DynaGreaseball,
    it was an emeril recipe.... here is the original. ..as for cooking times, i basically t-rexed it. ...high temp sear for a couple of minutes per side, then roasted at 400 till done (careful that you put a meat thermometer in the meat and not the lobster tail ... .[p]Lobster-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin with Bearnaise Sauce
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
    Show: Emeril Live[p]Episode: Emeril Kicks up the Holidays [p] [p][p]2 rock lobster tails
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1/4 pound pancetta or bacon, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped shallots
    3 tablespoons minced celery
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    4 ounces baby chanterelle mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons minced green onions
    2 tablespoons dry white wine
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 center-cut beef tenderloin, about 3 1/2 pounds, trimmed and butterflied
    Steamed fresh asparagus, as accompaniment
    Bearnaise Sauce, recipe follows
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Set up a large steamer. Place the lobster tails in the steamer and steam until just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Remove the lobster tails from the steamer. Cut along the underside of the shell and remove the tail meat whole. Set aside
    In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until crisp and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain off all but 2 teaspoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallots and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and a pinch each of salt and pepper, and cook until the mushrooms give off their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onions and stir. Add the wine, increase the heat, and cook until it has nearly all evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the parsley and stir. Remove from the heat, stir in the cooked pancetta, and let cool.
    Spread the butterflied beef, cut side up, flat on a surface. Spread the pancetta-vegetable mixture in a line across the meat, about 2 inches from the top, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the sides. Lay the lobster tails on top of the mixture, going across the beef. Pull the top flap over the lobster tails and roll the meat over the stuffing, jellyroll fashion, and tuck in the ends. Tie with kitchen twine every 2 inches.
    Place in a large heavy roasting pan, rub on all sides with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place over medium-high heat and sear the meat on all sides, about 6 minutes. Place in the oven and roast to desired temperature, 30 to 35 minutes for medium-rare.
    Transfer to a cutting board. Tent and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Remove the kitchen twine and slice thickly. Place on a platter, surround with the asparagus, and drizzle with the Bearnaise Sauce. Serve immediately.
    Bearnaise Sauce:
    2 tablespoons chopped shallots
    4 sprigs fresh tarragon
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/4 cup dry vermouth
    4 large egg yolks
    1 cup (2 sticks) melted unsalted butter or clarified butter
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
    In a small saucepan, combine the shallots, tarragon, white wine, and vermouth. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Remove from the heat, strain, and cool.
    In the top of a double boiler, or in a metal bowl fitted over a pot of barely simmering water, whisk the egg yolks and reduced wine until ribbons start to form. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the melted butter a bit at a time until all the butter is added and the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the lemon juice, chopped tarragon, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve. To serve, place in a decorative bowl with a small sauce ladle.[p]here's some pics. .[p]whole tenderloin[p]DSCN0709.jpg[p]and butterflied out[p]DSCN0710.jpg[p]smeared with the mushroom pancetta mixture and the lobster tails (dis is some good stuff). ..[p]DSCN0710.jpg[p]all wrapped up and tied[p]DSCN0712.jpg[p]searing at high temps ...[p]DSCN0716.jpg[p]and being sliced (this one was a little more done than i like) . . .i didn't do the bernaise sauce cause i don't like it, but i did drizzle it with a littel beure blanc ... it was very GOOOOOOOD

• whoops, forgot the pic of it being sliced. . .[p]DSCN0720.jpg
  • ok, i'm having stupid moment regarding posting pics. .. [p]here is the mushroom pancetta stuffing mixture.. .. .[p]DSCN0708.jpg[p]and spread on the meat with the lobster tails. ..[p]DSCN0711.jpg
  • DonDon
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    that looks to good to not cook this weekend!!! Maybe some creamed califlower, grilled corn on the cob with cilantro-honey-lime butter, some of that ciababta bread and a german choc cake. Wifes not wanting me to HAVE TO COOK on my BDay but Heck, nothing makes me happier than to see someone grin from ear to ear as they look at whts on that fork as the first bites nears their mouth!!! Love see that

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Thanks from me too max. That sounds and looks fantastic. I'll do that one for sure.

• Jeez, Max you're making my mouth water.
    Mike

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    DonDon,[p]I'd cook Tri Tip with something like Horseradish Mashed Potatoes or Corn on the Cob with cilantro lime butter. Besides a whole tenderloin it's my favorite cut of beef.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I got the whole thing put together in a .pdf file, along with all the visual aids. I'll need them to help me interpret the recipe on Christmas Eve.[p]It's going to be wonderful.[p]Thanks again
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Okay, I need you to repost the entire recipe with ALL the photos so I can have it all on one page. Pretty please?[p]This looks awesome.[p]Btw, I loved your italian hamburger at the eggfest. I can't wait to make it for a party sometime soon.[p]Gwen

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    DonDon,
    Can you not just dump this person from your life? Why should you worry what he does or thinks or anything?[p]I too have trust fund friends, but luckily they are nice. But at my advanced age, I've learned life is too short to worry about competing.[p]Having said that, I do understand about wanting to be the one who makes the best food! LOL That's always me at a party. Make Mad Max's Italian Hamburger that he did at the eggfest. It was really good, pretty easy, and superbly tasty and different from anything anyone else will make.[p]Gwen

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Dimple's Mom,
    I agree, I would tell him to get another friend to beat up.[p]Mike