Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

three is a charm. finally!

mr.b
mr.b Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
biggreeneggforum009.jpg
<p />well my first two attempts at ribs were a disaster and subpar but it was not the eggs fault. the first time i bought some pre seasoned beef back ribs that were kind of big and cheap but looked great in the package. gosh were they awful. the drip pan was full of fat. my wife and i took one bite apiece, looked at each other and there went a few pounds of ribs right in the trash.
my second attempt while better resulted in a subpar result. i did everything right (thank you carwash mike and others) but when we bit into these they were ok but they actually tasted like ham. i knew that taste. i dug the package out of the trash and not to my surprise they were injected with a solution (aghhhh!) we ate them but they were disappointing.
ah! but tonight the peace de la resistance(did i spell that right) 3-1-1 and they were oh so good and a little acorn squash to boot. smoky goodness.goodnight now!
p.s. i have to pay more attention when buying my meat now. every place is different. this place doesn`t inject their pork anymore but every pack of chicken they sell contained a solution.and me at bi-focal age needs to look more closely at the package fine print.

Comments

• dbishop
    dbishop Posts: 34
    mr.b,
    Those ribs look great. I have only done ribs one time and I was a little disappointed but it because I didn't let them cook long enough. Sometimes you either have to start earlier or move the dinner bell to later.
    DB

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    mr.b,[p]Nice looking ribs, there! Glad you found a winning combination. I also used the Car Wash Mike method of ribs this past weekend to learn how to cook them on my 1-week old BGE. I've been cooking ribs for years much differently, and I must say that ribs done on the BGE will spoil you from eating ribs done any other way.[p]I did have a question...what is that pan that you have underneath the grate? Is that a pizza pan?[p]Thanks,[p]-Mike[p]
  • dbishop,
    It may be cheatin but I cook mine with just the rub for about 3 hours then put on the sauce and wrap them in foil and move them to the oven at about 200 till the wife gets home from work. Can't beat em!

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    mr.b,[p]Very nice looking ribs!
  • mr.b
    mr.b Posts: 75
    Beanie-Bean, yes it is roughly a 1 inch high 16 inch diameter pizza pan. it is actually slightly taller than the plate setter legs so the grate actually sits on the pan whick is ok cause its plenty sturdy.