Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CHICKEN MEETS MINI FACEOFF !

SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The question posed by another person was .. .[p]"Can you cook a full chicken, indirect on a Mini Egg and how?"[p]Answer is " HELL YES YOU CAN! [p]Full story with many pics at my website .. link below for those of you who are interested in seeing the entire setup/ procedure / results [p]Here's a tease ... [p]CHICKENMEETSMINI102807-1.jpg[p]CHICKENMEETSMINI102807022.jpg
[ul][li]CHICKEN MEETS MINI the full story with pics[/ul]
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,
    Great pics. Good to see that you are using a replica of the Spanek tower. I have cooked on the Spanek for years with success. It cooks from both the outside & the inside as the opening serves as a flu.[p]I cook all fowl vertically. Our favorite is the capon as it is a better quality of chicken.[p]For Thanksgiving, I cook a range, raised turkey from western Kansas. Years ago, it cost $7.50 a pound. It now costs $5. No regret on the price as it is a superior bird.[p]My family says...no more 50 cents a pound turkeys.[p]

• SmokinGuitarPlayer,
    thought some of the boys scared you away with their caustic remarks. [p]so how is the maverick contest going???[p]will take a look at your post on the mini made chicken. i did a spatchcocked cornish hen. had to watch it like crazy so it wouldn't get too much heat. looks like you made another winner on the mini.[p]mark

• SmokinGuitarPlayer,
    nice job fred!! looks great

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,
    Great series of pics. Whodathunkit? Thanks.

• markkal123,
    The Maverick ET73 contest subject is still going going going ... I think it's almost a month ... It's getting pretty boring actually. I'm starting to believe what the company said about the batteries lasting for months. If they don't quit soon, I may just put all the entries in an egg and pick one. I have another real cool idea for another contest with a really eggcellent prize that I want to start soon...
    I will post a "formal" update next day or so. [p]I didn't get scared away. I have thick skin AND I've been really busy as my grill/egg/etc. business is starting to happen, sold 2 Larges and one of those pellet jobbies yesterday and we were loading/delivering... loading/delivering... loading/delivering ... and on top of the local sales, web orders coming in constantly as I add more and more products to the site. [p]Thanks for the post and enjoy everybody. [p]FB[p]SHRED-IN-FRED.gif

Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Nessmuk,
    What is a raised turkey? I am a big fan of "you get what you pay for". Where can I get one?

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    SmokinGuitarPlayer,[p]Thanks for the pics...I didn't know that the mini had that much headroom to accomodate a chicken vertically.[p]What were your settings for the cook? Did you use any temperature minding devices on the mini?[p]Nice animated pic of you playing the SG.[p]-Mike[p]
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Luvs to shoot clay,
    The turkey are "free range" in that they roam over several acres as opposed to "pen raised" where they are prvented from moving about...thus the latter gains more weight faster.[p]Also the "free range" turkeys receive no anitboitcs & are feed natural foods. They are a decendent of the native American bird the colonists raised & ate.[p]They are relatively small in that 12 to 15 pounds is the norm. Their breasts are smaller & their legs longer...much like wild turkeys.[p]There is a farm near Kansas City that raises "free range" chickens.