Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Needs Smoking Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, so I tried making ribs for the first time today. It seems like I am really walking a fine line in trying to keep the temperature down to 250, and yet still have actual "smoking" going on. The truth is, it felt like the only time I was going below 275 degrees or so was when I was literally putting the coals out.[p]Any suggestions? Ribs turned out OK, but not falling off the bone like I was hoping. [p]Bottom line question is . . .whats the best technique for getting to 250 degrees and holding it with wood chips for smoking?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Damon,
    This way. Follow the link as it regards fire making. Also a good way to do pork for future reference.[p]Welcome
    Mike

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm[/ul]
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Damon,
    What type of ribs. If they were babybacks use this one. Can't go wrong with Mike in Peculair.[p]Mike in Abita

[ul][li]http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html[/ul]
  • Cad_Trev
    Options
    I found alot of useful info and pics on WessB's site....
  • Mike in Abita,
    So, it seems like my problem may have been that I need to start the fire slowly and not really ever let it get over the 205 degree goal. I let the coals get going for ten minutes or so to really get started, which probably got the egg heated up too much to achieve a lower stable temperature.[p]So should I just start with the starters and close the lid immediately and begin controlling temperature from practically the first minute as opposed to letting it crank for ten minutes or so with the lid open?

• Mike in Abita,
    Yeah, they were babybacks. My biggest problem I think is in the throwaway phrase I keep reading: "stabilize the temperature at 250 degrees". I kept having to open the lid full up to bring temp down, which of course fed massive amounts of oxygen to the coals, which raised the temp again etc cetera.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Damon,
    I don't use starters. I use either MAPP gas or a chimney full of hot lump. If it's the MAPP I'll get three or so spots going then close the lid. Leave daisy off and vent wide open. Go inside and get a beverage, check on a few scores, and go back outside 5- 10 min later. Hopefully my dome thermo is reading 175-200 at this point. If not I'll sit down take a few swigs off that beverage and watch it climb until it gets to 200. Put daisy on and adjust vent to 1/4 open. Once it gets to 225 I 'll start to close the vent further maybe 1/8" to 1/4" opening . Once it gets to 245 adjust the daisy to lower flow. You can tell by the way smoke is comming out. I let it burn this way for at least a half hour. Checking every 10 min. If I over shoot I'll close down daisy if I undershoot then open a little. [p]I try to maintain 250 dome temp. I find this is a good temp to cook. 250 dome is actually 220-230 grid temp. My experience is 250 is easy to get to and maintain. Catch your temps on the way up and allow it to coast into 250.[p]Just the way I do it.[p]Mike in Abita
    Remember this is supposed to be enjoyable. Relax, have fun, ruin a few cooks and learn from your mistakes.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Damon,
    AHHH the old chasing the temps trick. [p]Don't give up, you are on the brink of some REALLY good Que.

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Damon,[p]Temperature stabalization was the hardest thing I had to learn. Keep trying. You'll get it. Just remember to start closing down the air on the way up when temp. reaches about 50° below your target. [p]Welcome
  • Damon,[p]You got it. You don't have to obsess over temps from the moment you start, but yes, keep the lid closed and watch the temps come up, then start closing down the draft as you start getting toward your target.