Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE at the Beach?

Options
Larry
Larry Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying a BGE for my Gulf Coast beachfront house. I wanted to know anybody's experience with the unit in conditions where rust is a factor.[p]Stainless will hold up relatively well, and the ceramic is obviously okay. It seems to me that the painted iron stuff will be my problem. Can you easily obtain and change out new parts for these areas?[p]Any other experience with rust?

Comments

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    Larry,
    I live 1 block from the Ocean in Virginia Beach and rust is never a problem. I have seen hints of rust on my cast iron grid and dutch oven but if used frequently enough there is no problem. I do keep the egg under a roof so it does not get very wet unless I am doing a cook in the rain. The gasser will rust out in a couple of years.[p]ab ovo

• Larry
    Larry Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for your help. The Gulf Coast is a little more humid and my house receives salt spray so I guess I will get to test it out to a higher standard. [p]

• stripedbass
    Options
    i have had mine 4 years at the jersey shore.
    long beach island,ocean block.never any problems.
    jerry