Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Suggestions...

Options
BlueRidge
BlueRidge Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be trying fish on the egg for the first time tonight. The fish is nothing special, just farm raised grocery store salmon...[p]I am fond of the simple flavor of grilled salmon (salt/pepper/lemon) but as this is a "first" for my egg I am considering a bunch of firsts...[p]I have some alder planks (I have never planked fish before)....the "Salmon with Dijon Bourbon Glaze" looks good from the BGE recipe section and it has lots of nice accalades in the archives....and there was one post I saw where lemon slices were placed on the grid with the fish placed on top of them (it was posted by MadMax)....[p]So many wonderful choices and I was wondering if people would post a favorite...if you knew this would be the last grilled salmon that you would ever have...how would you do it?[p]Jay

Comments

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    BlueRidge, The ONLY way I cook salmon any more is Dizzy Pig's Ragin River Maple Salmon !!!

• TheStormyDOg
    Options
    I used to do the DizzyPig recipe, works great, came across this recipe last year and it has easily become our hands down favorite. Have cooked it many times always to rave reviews. Enjoy
    [p]Ingredients: [p]2 lbs (1 kg) skinless salmon fillets
    2 oranges (1 sliced, 1 squeezed)
    2 tbs (30 ml) olive oil
    2 tbs (30 ml) light brown sugar
    ¼ cup (50 ml) pure maple syrup
    2 tbs (30 ml) orange marmalade
    3 tbs (45 ml) orange juice
    Directions: [p]Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat
    Grate the zest from one orange, add zest to oil and sauté until it begins to brown
    Add brown sugar and sauté until sugar melts
    Add maple syrup, orange marmalade and orange juice
    Simmer over low heat until it thickens slightly
    Thinly slice remaining orange and lay slices on plank, creating a bed for the salmon
    Place salmon on orange bed and pour half of the sauce over salmon
    Place plank on grill and cook until flaky
    Serve remaining sauce on the side with salmon

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Memphis,[p]AMEN, brother!!!
  • BlueRidge
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    I will have to invest in some dizzy pig spices and give it a try![p]Alas...not tonight[p]Thanks!
    Jay

• BlueRidge
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    Thanks for the suggestion! I will give it a try tonight with the alder plank.[p]Just a couple more questions for ya![p]1. soak the plank?
    2. cook at a dome temp of 350ish...400?[p]Jay

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    BlueRidge,
    Soak the plank for about 3 hrs
    Cook at 350 for about 25 min.
    TRex suggests 137 degrees in thickest part. THIS APPEARS TO BE THE SECRET.
    I usually add a handful of alder chips when adding the fish to the Egg.

• TheStormyDOg
    Options
    BlueRidge,
    Yes soak the plank, I usually soak a few and throw them in the freezer, little secret there.
    350ish is good, planking can be very forgiving