Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine and Fillings Variation forMr. Toad's Pork Loin

Puj
Puj Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All,[p]Tonight we did a Mr. Toad's Pork Loin in the large. The tendorloin was brined using Nature Boy's Righteous Chops brine, and stuffed with apples and wild rice. Yummy to say the least.[p]Thanks Mr. Toad and Nature Boy!
Puj

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Puj,
    Cool! One of the great things about posting a recipe, is others can get creative with it and we all win. I have been thinking of doing a Toad concoction again soon. I'll try that brine on it.[p]Thanks for the report, and the ideas.
    Happy Monday atcha.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy wrote, " I have been
    thinking of doing a Toad concoction again soon. "[p]Yummm, first squid now frogs?? [p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Tim M,
    I just did some frog legs a few weeks ago. They were righteous. [p]Here is djm's version. Good stuff. Tastes like frog legs : )[p]NB

[ul][li]djm's froglegs[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nature Boy,[p]touché[p]Tim
  • Puj
    Nature Boy,[p]One thing with the brine - the cook time was much longer than without the brine. The Egg ran at 325F for a 2.6 lb tenderloin plus the stuffing and it took 2 1/2 hours to reach 155F. It was quite good though. I have another pork tenderloin in the freezer and will try to get a little more disciplined around the temps and time. [p]Raining like a dog at the moment. We need it.[p]Later,
    Puj

• Puj,
    Is this one of those secret Nature Boy recipes that is geographically challenged and/or does not recognize the Louisiana Purchase (not yet west of the Mississippi)?? Looked high and low in both recipe sections for NB's pork chop brine, and I guess our Internet access to the BGE website here in New Mexico has a block on it! Where can I find it, or can you or NB tell me what it is? Sounds like just the ticket on especially, those boneless chops that are mighty lean and dry...without a little help. Thanks,
    Big Murth

• Nature Boy
    Sorry Big Murth,
    I just posted it as part of a thread, and not in the recipe section. Here is what I have in my Word document:[p]BRINED CHOPS!
    Here is a recipe for you to try with pork chops. You know the kind of pork chops with very little fat that often comes out like cardboard if even slightly overcooked. A brine works great for these, and I have been using a brine posted on another forum from Spice Cooks. I wanted to try something new with the brine, and the results were fab.[p]1 cup water
    1 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 chopped stalk lemongrass
    6 cloves of chopped fresh garlic
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    2 tbs pepper[p]I boiled the mixture to infuse the flavors, and chilled with ice-in-a-ziplock. Brined the chops in a ziplock for 4 hours, then rinsed, patted dry, and coated with pepper/corriander/sage/onion powder (don't use any salt), and a layer of yellow mustard. Grilled them like steaks, maybe 600 for 4 minutes a side, then dwelled to an internal temp of 145-150.[p]They were juicy and the flavor was awesome all the way through.[p]Next time you have those super lean loin chops, give it a try. I think an overnight brine with the same mix would be good on a whole loin.[p]Have a great one!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    This is what I love most about my BGE!!. Thanks for another addition to not only my recipe file, but my success in Egging. Yup, this sounds great to try as I occasionally pick up specials on the boneless chops so I have a good meat base for my red chile sauce....and there's always a few choppers left over that don't need any more freezer burn after a few months. Gracias amigo!! Big Murth

• Puj
    Big Murth,[p]I see that NB was able to locate the recipe. It's a good one and I know that you'll enjoy it.[p]The only deviation from the brine recipe that I do is substitute apple cider instead of apple juice (only because that's what's in the house now), and I haven't been able to hunt down the lemongrass (haven't tried too hard either :) ). I left the tenderloin in the brine overnight, but the chops are good at 4 hours.[p]Sorry for sending you on a goose chase,[p]Puj
  • Puj,
    Yeah, NB zapped it right over the mountain to me. By the way, I take it that your wild rice was fully cooked when you stuffed it into that pork loin, right? And it was a loin, and not a tenderloin, right? Thanks again,
    Big Murth

• Puj
    Big Murth,[p]Rice was fully cooked prior to stuffing the pork tenderloin. To clarify, it was a pork tenderloin last night and pork loin center cut for the righteous pork chops.[p]Later,
    Puj[p]