Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Funny Fire for tonights cook

Options
Flashback Bob
Flashback Bob Posts: 519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I emptied a bag of RO and wound up with some charcoal dust too, and I topped it off with Cowboy to get the quantity of lump I wanted. Wanted to cook the boneless chops at about 500-550 but the temp wasn't getting up there. I'll spare the details but the temp kept going up, I'd damper to the correct position, the temp would plummet, so I'd open it up again.
Sometime after a half hour, I noticed the temp still wasn't too high (450?) with the dampers wide open, but the light from the bottom vent indicated lots of lump was burning just above the fire grate. I looked in and there was lots of orange glow. Just as I backed off a blue flame shot out both bottom and top. it did this several more times before the temp finally stabilized and I put the food on - close to an hour after I first lit the fire.[p]I've heard of it happening to others but had never experienced it myself.
I blame it on the lump dust. I always wind up with bursts of flame or flashbacks when I let that stuff get in with th coals.[p]But at the bottom of the bag, it is kind of hard to avoid.[p]The Chops (boneless) - Cooked em with a little hickory smoke, no rub or marinade, just salt. About 5-10 minutes to first flip, 5 to the second and after 5 I checked the internal and it was past 140 so I pulled them. Good and moist, and nice touch of smoke.[p] The kids who don't like smokiness loved them!

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]Wait a minute . . . didn't I see you at Fred's place in a photo? Doesn't Fred sell Wicked Good? Whaddya doing using RO and Cowboy? [p][But hey, I understand - last year I drove from DC to Boston and stopped at Fred's only to find that he's closed on weekends . . . ]
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Flashback Bob,[p]So far I have sorted my lump to tow containers, big & small/smaller - no dust except what is created after the sort which isn't really too much.[p]I had the same effect you expressed including a couple of flash backs out the bottom vent. I had lump about to the middle of the fire ring.[p]I decided to move some lump around from the top. I noticed three of the vents in the ceramic were plugged. I jiggled sticked them and my temp came right up. [p]RO & Cowboy mixed.[p]Anyway, after the clearing of the holes the temp came right up and stabilized. I just attributed it to having too much small pieces.[p]Kent[p][p]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    Haggis,
    I don't know if he stocks lump for sale, but then I never asked.
    He's open on Saturdays now (weather permitting), so plan your next trip to the area to allow a Saturday visit to Wakefield!