Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump for an 8 lb Boston butt?

Joe in Jersey
Joe in Jersey Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to light my fire around 7pm and hope it is finished around noon Sunday. I loaded my lump to about half way up my fire ring. Is that ok?[p]Also I have a Maverick ET73. I plan to cook around 225 grate temperature and go for 195 internal. What would be good low and high alarm setting for the grate? [p]This is my first overnight low and slow and the first time I am relying on the Maverick so any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Joe In Jersey,
    I guess I should add I am cooking in a large, indirect with a drip pan. Thanks.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Joe In Jersey,[p]You should be OK on lump, but why not fill it to the top of the fire ring just to be safe?[p]I personally would clip the ET73 pit probe to the BGE thermometer probe and shoot for a dome of 250. I typically set my maverick alarms for 225 and 275 when I am up and then before I go to bed adjust them to 215 and 285.[p]If you are going with grid temp then I would set the alarms at 210 and 260.[p]Also I might start it a bit earlier. Plan on 2 hours per pound, so you are looking at a guide of 16 hours. I have had 8 pounders take 19 hours, I have head of others going longer. My butts tend to be more moist when I give them a couple hours rest after they hit 195. Better to let it rest 4 hours than have to rush it. f I was serving at noon I would try to have it done by 10:00. Just wrap it in foil, towels, and place in a cooler for up to 5 hours before pulling if it gets done early.[p]Good luck, it should be fine.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Joe In Jersey,
    I agree with Fidel, start at 250. I would hate to see a "is this safe to eat" post in the morning.[p]Mike

• Fidel,
    Yeah! Wrap the "done" meat tightly in two layers of HD tin foul, wrap in towels and stick it in a closed cooler. Pad with old, "useless" towels.[p]It works like a charm! I do this after every roast, of any kind, and it really makes a difference. I no longer have to fuss about "Will the danm thing be ready in time for guests?" or anything like that. [p]Get it done early. Wrap it! Enjoy a relaxed time preparing the rest of the feed.[p]The "cooler" changed my entire way of prepping the cook![p]~ B

• Fidel,
    Thanks for the info. I had the lump to the top at first. I forgot to mention I planned to use the plate setter, legs up with the drip pan. When I looked at the setup it seemed there wasn't much space between the charcoal and the plate setter so I took some out.[p]Like I mentioned earlier this is my first long cook so I am trying my best not to make any big mistakes.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Joe in Jersey,[p]You don't need much space between the top of the lump and bottom of the platesetter. As long as air can flow around it you're good.[p]Honestly, you probably have enough lump as you described it, but always better safe than sorry.[p]Pork shoulders are really easy and forgiving. The only way to really screw them up is to undercook or let your fire go out.[p]One more tip, make sure your fire is good and stabilized before you put the meat in. This will let the nasties burn off. Then put the meat in. The temp will drop but DO NOT adjust your vents. Let the egg come back to temp on its own. It may take 30 minutes or so. If you adjust then the temp will overshoot your target and you will be chasing it all night long.
  • Fidel,[p]Thanks Fidel and everyone else for the advice. Hopefully Sunday I will be posting my sucess story. <G>
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Joe In Jersey,
    Here is a good rule of thumb Joe. I always load the Egg all the way to the top of the fire ring anytime I put new lump in. That way you always have enough to do the job no matter what you are cooking. When finished, shut it down for the next time. I never try to guess how much lump for any cook. [p]MC Jerry

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Joe In Jersey,
    Some people lite the lump in a couple different places. Just thought about that.[p]Mike