Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

planning turkey day

drdave
drdave Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, thanksgiving is coming up and I'm looking for recipie's. Have a large egg, used it for about 5 months now. My last "beer can chicken" came out greasy - used Anchor Porter and oak burgundy barrels. Since I only have one shot at the turkey, I want to make sure it's a good one. Idea's?

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Dr. Dave,
    Try this.[p]Bordello

[ul][li]Mad Max's Turkey & Gravy/The Naked Whiz's[/ul]
  • Dr. Dave,
    Experiment before the big day, and definetly use the suggestion of Bordello.[p]Mike

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Dr. Dave,[p]Good advice below but, there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. Do a trial run and cook the bird just as you would in your oven. But, by all means, do a trial run. You wouldn't want to mess up on "The Big Day"!
  • Dr. Dave,
    along with doing a test run on your turkey, and making sure you know how to cook a good one on your egg (and doing a cold test fit as i describe in the 'mad max turkey' .. . set up a cooking schedule for thanksgiving. .. and do as much as you possibly can on the days before. . .my schedule (with some modifications) looks something like this:[p]sunday: [p]1.roast and peel the chestnuts (they stay fresh in a sealed container for days)
    2. do my big grocery run (turkey, veggies, materials for sides, etc.[p]monday: buy my bread for the stuffing so that it will be a little stale by wednesday[p]tuesday: finish up everything at work so i can take wednesday off[p]wednesday: make up as many of the side dishes as possible, prepare the sweet potato casserole, the dressing (these will both hit the oven or egg on thursday, but this way they are all ready to go), my green jello salad, prep the green beens, etc. .. . the only things i actually prepare on thursday are the turkey, gravy and mashed potatos, and finish the green beens (which only takes minutes) . . .[p]thursday; turkey, gravy, mashed taters .. .[p]heck, the spawn and i even set the table late on wednesday night so that it is all ready to go as well. . .[p]sooo. .. plan it all out, you will have a more succesful day that way, and a more stress free thursday to enjoy with family and friends (and even be able to watch a little football) . .. [p]HTH. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hold up!
    "heck, the spawn and i even set the table late on wednesday night so that it is all ready to go as well. . ."[p]Mad Max, I dont think I've EVER seen you set a table.
    OH, well there was that one time...but then I woke up.[p]-The Spawn

• The Spawn,
    I'm sure dad would swap. He'll set the table and you cook everything. LOL
    Mike

• Mike in Abita,
    Sounds good, cause believe me, I know how to cook it all, and have helped. [p]Plus, I do half of it anyway.[p]-The Spawn

• The Spawn,
    I was kinda leary about posting. I don't want off the Brownie list.LOL
    Mike

• Dr. Dave,
    I chronicled my turkey preparation earlier this week. I was in a 'fowl' mood that weekend cuz I wasn't at the Eggfest in Atlanta. I use a method similar to this on Thanksgiving too. I definitely think you should have a practice run. Hey, the worst that can happen is that you'll have good eats for a few days, and you'll learn something.[p]Have fun!

[ul][li]EggspertMN Turkey post[/ul]
  • Mike in Abita,
    jeez, i go to the hardware store and this is what i get. ...that long island air must be a tad on the thin side this morning :)