Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin recipe wanted for 8# pork loin on Saturday

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pork_loin.jpg
<p />Hi All,[p]I have the in-laws coming over tomorrow evening and I managed to pick up this 8# pork loin for a measly $1.69 a pound. Any good recipe ideas? [p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    I would cut in half and do a couple different ones. I cut a pocket in 1 end then, I like to stuff mine with cashews and apricot jam. Then wrap in bacon. The possibilites are endless what you can put in it for stuffing.[p]Mike

• Ottawa_egger,[p]yeah, cube it up and make greek soulvaki kabobs. just marinade in LOTS of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and oregano/rosemary/thyme (or whatever you got laying around that's fresh or even dried), and put in on some soaked wooden sticks. get that egg up to near nuke temps (around 550-600), and cook them fast and hard. you want to char the edges of them.[p]then, serve them with some warmed pita bread, diced up tomoatoes, lettuce, and onions, and a side of tzatziki (thickened greek yogurt mixed with grated cucumber, with seeds and skins removed, crushed garlic, salt/pepper, and a bit of lemon juice).[p]
  • Ottawa_egger,[p]I have twice cooked pork roast roulade for large dinner parties [30 - 45 guests] on my BGE -- and been asked to provide pork roast roulade for 150.[p]I "spiral cut" the loind, rolling it open like a scroll.[p]Gently checker the inside of the now-flat meat, scoring in a diamond pattern. I season with S+P, and a little Italian seasoning, rub it down into the diamond cuts.[p]Then I layer the inside with seveal layers of wilted [sauteed in OO] spinach[p]Line the insides "vertically" with two of your favorite melt-cheeses, sprinkle with parmesan.[p]Add bacon bits, sauteed asparagus, apple slices, bread crumbs [in egg]... whatever. For me, bacon bits are required! Love that bacon![p]Just remember, whatever you put inside the roulade needs to be par-cooked.[p]Roll "the scroll up" back into the original pork lond. I like to have help to do this, as the stuffing can shift and goo out easily.[p]Be prepared to tie the roast every inch -- any way you want to get the job done, if you don't know a butcher's knot. Use any heavy cotton string -- not a thin one. Some stores sell skinny butcher's twine... yech! Avoid that stuff![p]Dry wipe the outside of the roast. Apply a very thing coating of EVOO, season.[p]OPTIONAL: Apply rub.[p]OPTIONAL: Wrap in plastic and rest in fridge for up to 12 hours] Then bring roast to room temp.[p]In a pan [stove-top] or over very hot coals [750+F]in the EGG [yep!] sear all sides of the roast.[p]Bring EGG to 350F -- 400F. Roast until 140F - 145F internal.[p]Pull, wrap tightly in Al foil for at least 1/2 hour, slice and serve.[p]BTW -- I usually make a gravy to pour over the sliced roast at the table. This will be a gravy which compliments the ingredients I've put into the stuffing.[p]I have done raspberry roasts, apricot roasts, peach roasts, apple roasts...[p]Guess I'm a sort-a fruity kind-a guy...[p]It's all yummmm.[p]Enjoy![p]! Broc

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    I notice the lable on your roast says seasoned. What is it seasoned with? some say with enhanced pork you will get a hammy taste. I usually used fresh pork without seasoning
    Gerry

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    season well with red eye and lots of raw sugar. cook at 325 / 350 direct for a nice crust. i flipped every 20 minutes or so then pulled it at around 154 internal befor pulling it i sauced it heavily with some lady diana sauce. then rested for a good 5 to 10 minutes. [p]loin3.jpgloin4.jpg
    loin.jpgloin2.jpg

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    I usually marinate in mix of yogurt cilantro, soy sauce, garlic and lime juice... a few hours should do the trick! I then roast at 375 degrees until done.. not sure how long for an 8#...

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    61 CHEV,[p]The label says sodium phosphate and salt. I guess that means salted fertilizer and more salt.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • Ottawa_egger,
    hey if it's enhanced grill it or roast it at 350-400 instead of smoking it at 250 and it won't be hammy.