Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

safety concerns cooking on a wooden deck.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have ordered my cooker. Should be here in time for Christmas![p]We live in a condo and will be cooking on a wooden deck. I'd like to use a Weber chimney for starting, but wonder if that's smart.[p]Any safety suggestions relating to cooking on a wood deck would be appreciated![p]Wade

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wade,[p]They make a fire mat - KennyG has one as do many here. My deck has a few marks were a wild coal popped out the vent. I sometimes pour a little water on the deck before I cook. In many of my pictures you will see a champagne bottle - it's got h2O in it.[p]Avoid the chimney starter! That is a fire trap. Use fire cubes, or electric or anything else. Mine scared me a few times - don't use it anymore at all.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE website place[/ul]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Wade,
    Cheap insurance is a concrete steping stone. My egg has sat in the same place on my deck for fifteen plus years, a couple years ago conditions, for what ever reason, were just right and I set my deck on fire. As far as lighting goes I've been using a propane torch lately, quick, clean and safe.
    Mark

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    FAQ_Gr1.jpg
    <p />Wade, I'll agree with TIM - go with the matt (I actually use 2 sitting side-by-side) and starter cubes.[p]From KennyG - This is a fireproof flexible concrete mat designed to placed under grills and other wood fired or charcoal devices to prevent a fire hazard from stray sparks.") the matt is available at Lowes... The Lowes stock # is 117446
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBW[/ul]
  • Mark,[p]Thanks for the tips. Do you mind telling me exactly what propane torch you suggest? Will I need the long walking cane type or what??[p]Thanks again
  • Mark,[p]One more question please. Is the stepping stone just for placeing the egg on, or is it to be used instead of the flexible concrete mat others have suggested?[p]Thanks!
    Wade

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wade,[p]Actually you two are on different pages of the book. The stepping stone is placed under the Egg so the VERY HOT bottom doesn't burn your wood deck. I am not sure if you even plan to place the Egg on the deck or in a nest. If you set it on the deck, place a stepping stone under it.[p]Tim
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    wade,
    The torch I use is a Surefire T501. It is the instant lite type, push the button and you have fire. Just hold it on the lump a couple minutes and your in business. They are available at any hardware store.
    Mark

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mark,
    This is the kit I bought...I love it...Thanks KOC for sharing this information with us.
    Larry[p]
    TS7000ZKC
    Trigger Start Adjustable/High Output Cast Aluminum MAPP® Gas Torch Kit
    Includes a TS7000 adjustable self-igniting torch head and a MG9 16.0 oz. MAPP® gas cylinder. Packaged in a clamshell

[ul][li]MAPP GAS[/ul]
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    Wade,[p]Not that I'm advocating a competitor's product here, but here's a tip from the Weber folks on how to protect the patio, for what it's worth. They appear to have both a wood deck and a concrete patio in mind, but I'm not sure...[p][p]
    Protect Your Patio[p]To protect your patio or deck while using your Weber Bullet, put your cooker on top of a large-sized automobile oil drip pan (available at auto centers for under $10). It catches any drips or spills from the cooker and gives you someplace to set down the lid or grates without messing things up. You can even start a chimney of charcoal on the pan without scorching your concrete patio. The pan cleans up easily with soap and water.