Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digital Cameras

Options
bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally joined the ranks of the digital BGE community and bought a camera. After reading last month's Consumer Reports, and finding that, as usual, some of the top picks have already been discontinued, I settled on the Toshiba PDR-M25, the replacement for the CR Best Buy PDR-M61. It looks like a pretty nice camera with 3x opital zoom (as well as digital) and 2.2 megapixels. The package came with a 16 meg Smartcard, carrying case, and Smartcard floppy disc adapter.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to work the thing....
Hope to be posting entree pics along with the rest of you soon.
bd

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I was an avid Consumers Report advocate for 10-15 years until the times changed and CR became so out of date by the time it hit my mailbox. I bought my 1st digital camera after reading CR. They poorly rated the Sony I bought for something that needed a serial cable and and hour to d/l pictures to the computer. No, CR may be OK for BBQ grills, Clock radios, toasters, but they aren't much at high-end state-of-the-art electronics or computers. IMO ofcourse. [p]There are website where I think you get even better true life testimonials that CR.[p]Tim
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thanks for that gleeming vote of confidence! That's just what I wanted to hear after spending $350 on a camera....
    :-)[p]

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Tim M,
    You're right. When I bought my first real camera in the
    70's CR had no clue about photography, and they still don't. Also, they think my kitchen aid blender is a piece
    of junk, and I think it's great. They seem to have great
    breadth of knowledge and absolutely no depth. My opinion.
    Chuck

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]I didn't mean to say they suggest junk or anything bad. Just that there info is often timely and the models they are testing are no longer sold, so you have to "guess" on one to buy. [p]Digi camera are like computers. When you get it home, it's out of date it seems. [p]Tim
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    bdavidson,
    That's not to say that you got a bad camera, I
    don't know anything about it. I just don't like
    CR's advice on cameras in particular and electronics
    in general. Word of mouth between camera buffs has
    always worked for me. Enjoy the camera. We just bought
    a kodak dx3900 for my dad. I'll "test" it for him before
    Christmas and post the results.
    Chuck

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    bdavidson,[p] I see no reson why you shouldn't be happy with the camera. However, I'll post the following for those looking for a couple real steals:[p]1. B&H has the <a href="http://www01.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___239734___MIDS304J___REG___CatID=0___SID=EADDDD670D0">Minolta S304(/a) (3.3MP, 4x optical zoom, but you have to use Minolta's download software to get the right color balance) for $399 right now. Just click on the pricing box to have them mail you the special code.[p]2. CompUSA's add for tomorrow's paper here has the Olympus C2100UZ (only 2.1MP, but a 10x image-stabilized optical zoom!!!!!!! for $499!![p]MikeO
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    MikeO,
    Speaking of digital cameras, which I know nothing about, are any of these good buys in your opinion.
    Painter

[ul][li]more camera deals[/ul]
  • Painter,
    Check out www.beachcamera.com They seem to have so good prices, and a large selection.[p]GaryJ

• Painter
    Options
    GaryJ ,
    Thanks for another link, now I'm really gonna get confused.
    LOL ---Painter

• Painter,
    That is what happened to me.
    I started reading about digital cameras off the Internet and a couple of photography magazines. Within a couple of weeks, I was thoroughly confused. I decided to wait about six months and see if the prices get a little more reasonable.
    Good luck with your quest to purchase a digital camera. [p]GaryJ

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Painter,[p] Some of the deals are pretty good. However, none beats the Minolta deal I posted earlier. I would suggest you make a list of the things you want to do, then figure out what you want to spend. Compare based on that. My current favorites are the Minolta Dimage S304 (based on value; i.e., a 3.3 MP camera with a 4x optical zoom (don't be fooled by claims of "digital zoom", which is worthless IMHO)that has been rated well for $399 at www.bhphotovideo.com), the Fuji Finepix 2600 (best deal on a beginner 2MP digital camera (3x optical zoom, good picture quality for $259 at Gateway with free shipping and a rebate when purchased with extra SmartMedia). For zoom lovers, either the Fuji Finepix 2800 (6x optical zoom, 2MP for $333 at buy.com) or the Olympus C2100UZ (10x image-stabilized</> optical zoom, 2MP for $499 at various places)[p]MikeO[p]PS When pricing, always look at the retailers reviews at www.resellerratings.com or another rating site -- there are some cheats out there!
  • Painter
    Options
    MikeO, Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.[p]Painter

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Tim M,
    A good place to go for digital camera reviews is www.dpreview.com. Lots of models and lots of info.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz