Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Full of lump...

Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, doing a brisket tonight; planning on starting around 10pm.
Have the egg cleaned and reloaded with fresh lump up to the top of the fire box. Now, using the little weber starter cube's, what's the best way to get all the lump lit? Should I light the top and let the rest burn down?
Thanks!

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Shelby,[p]Light the top center. You want to create a fist sized glowing lump of coals. The fire will find its way through the lump as the cook progresses.[p]Spin
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Shelby,
    Not to go again'st my friend Spin, but i light my fire in two different top spots. This will act as a back-up just in case you have a bad chuck of lump that refuses to burn causing your fire to go out while you sleep.
    Doesn't happen to often, but once is enough to ruin your morning.
    Good luck & enjoy the brisket.[p]Earl

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Earl,[p]You are not going against me :-). We are simply demonstrating how forgiving our Eggs are, willing to work reliably with many methods and techniques.[p]I have yet to have a problem with my method. I like to light lots of smaller pieces (1" cube type) to start the cook. If I do have a problem, I will try your method. Thanks for sharing.[p]Our best to you and Barb,
    Spin

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Shelby,
    I try to get a very small fire burning first and then add the meat and wood..long before you ever get up to temp,like as soon as the starter burns out, with a goal of having things stabilized an hour or 2 before bedtime..that way you at least know when you lay down things are going as planned..course the remote therm helps matters a whole lot as far as sleeping peacefully..IMO[p]Wess